Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Purse and tote bag handles >
  • Purse and tote bag handles

• Purse and tote bag handles

Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Purse and tote bag handles

I have been thinking about getting some premade handles to add to a tote bag. I was wondering what your experience / recommendations were. Has anyone tried any of them - leather, bamboo etc? What is the best way to attach them - by hand sewing?
    Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 PM

I have used pre-made handles from a used purse purchased at a re-sell it shop. Worked quite well.
    Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 PM

I've used webbing that you can buy by the yard. It comes in cotton or nylon. Cotton fades over time but has held up well over two years of use (one to two times per week). Nylon is very long lasting and doesn't fade. No problems with machine stitching.
    Old 05-11-2016, 03:19 AM

I use the 1" nylon webbing too. It worked great, I covered it in matching fabric to the bag. The only problem I have had with a purse was once I purchased coin purse closers that didn't really close. However you attach the handles, use reinforcement interfacing behind them, they take a lot of wear.
    Old 05-11-2016, 04:12 AM
    Power Poster

I use lots of things. At garage sales, I look for purses & totes that I can cannibalize for handles & clasps. Often they are less than a dollar. I also use nylon strapping, sometimes covering with fabric from the bag. When shopping for premade handles, you need to consider the structure of the bag they are going on. Plastic handles can be very heavy and if the bag doesn't have enough body, they can actually pull the sides down. Big Box craft stores usually have a good selection, but do consider the weight. Leather handles are very luxurious!
    As far as attaching them, the leather are the most straight forward. They will have holes pierced in the portion that go on the bag. You hand sew them with heavy buttonhole thread. Other purchased handles usually have metal round, D shape or rectangular rings. You make a long narrow rectangle of reinforced fabric and sew that to the bag. Some of the rings have screws so you can open them. In this case you attach the fabric loop, open the ring and insert then handle. If the rings don't open, it's a bit more tricky as you have to put the loop thru the ring and attach it to the bag with the handle attached. Use a zipper foot to get close to the ring. in either case, you can attach the loop to the outside of the bag or insert it in the top seam where the lining meets the outer fabric.
    If you are interested, the best blog on purse and bag construction is Lisa Lim's U Handbag:
    http://u-handbag.typepad.com/
    Old 05-11-2016, 04:15 AM
    Power Poster

I have always made my handles from the fabric I made the bag from. I do use a heavier fusible to keep the wear to a minimum.
    Old 05-11-2016, 04:49 AM

i'm with maniacquilter2
    Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Really great suggestions. Many thanks.