Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on sewing machines >

Suggestions on sewing machines

Suggestions on sewing machines

Old 05-09-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Suggestions on sewing machines

Hi everybody. I just joined the forum yesterday and have received the warmest welcome. Since I am a beginner and have never quilted before what would be the best sewing machine to purchase? What functions am I looking for if any on it? Is a used sewing machine just as good? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Everyone is going to answer that their machine is best! I would visit sewing machine dealers in your area. Purchasing a machine from a dealer will give you someone to call if you have a problem. Many dealers have previously owned machines that they sell with a limited warranty and sometimes a lesson or two on basic usage & maintenance. Until you decide what type of quilting you are going to do, an entry level machine with a zigzag stitch, needle down option and a built in threader is really all you need. If you like quilting, you can eventually invest in a machine with more bells & whistles.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:38 PM

Hello Christy from the Dallas Area. You will love this forum. We have many sewers to answer questions and for help. All you have to do is ask.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 PM

As PaperPrincess said needle down is a fabulous feature. You will also want to get a 1/4 inch foot and walking foot to fit your machine. You can get any range in price. From $50 to $3000. I am just as happy with my lower cost machine as some are with the high end. It all depends on how many bells and whistles you wanted. If you are a beginner I would start with something under $500. You can always go up later
Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM

The advice from PaperPrincess is the best you can get. Make sure the dealer knows that you are interested in quilting versus clothing construction, and that you are looking toward upgrading later on. Don't try out just one or two machines, go back more than once to try them with scraps of fabric you choose, perhaps scraps from an old garment. I hated it when I first went to test machines and was given some stiff fabric they use for a final test after servicing a machine. No one sews with that stuff. My personal favorite is an old Singer Slant 301 for piecing because it has a narrow foot and narrow feed dogs, no bells or whistles. One of my obsessions is old machines, but I do have a few of the newer ones with needle up/down function. Ask about some classes at the shop or adult education at the nearest college. Most fabric stores offer classes.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Thank all of you so much. I am loving the support that I am feeling here.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Your other option is to go with a nice vintage machine. For basic sewing and quilting is a straight stitch machine. A good vintage machine is usually pretty inexpensive, easy to operate and maintain. I have a 10-12 yr old Viking Platinum computerized machine with many bells & whistles as my every day machine but also use my featherweight for classes and travel. Still working on getting my Singer 66 refurbed and running.

A 1/4 foot is nice but you can also just use a standard foot and use any manner of tools to mark your 1/4" stitching line. I don't do much machine quilting at all but I've not needed a walking foot with my Viking. Have not machine quilted with my FW so can't offer an opinion on that.

You can get away with a minimal initial investment until you get a better idea of what type of sewing/quilting you like to do.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM

I would follow paper princess' advice, and not invest too much, because we all end up with several machines, each having a favorite feature. If you invest in a "top of the line" machine as your first, you will have blown your whole budget and may never get a 2nd machine when you learn more. When all features are on one machine, changing "set ups" can be very time consuming, so much so you may soon choose not to use many of the machines features, and it all could be a waste. Just a thought.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 PM

, needle down, decent harp, good straight stitch, zigzag and blanket stitch are all the basic stitches need to do all types of quilting. Yes used sewing machines can be great, and best bought with a reputable dealer that can give you some warranty on it as most warranties don't transfer in private party sales. Also how much are you willing to invest are you looking for a very basic beginner machine. If you are looking basic beginner i recommend brother or janome. Mid range and up you really need to test drive different brands at the dealers. All brand have their different custom features and all models are going to have pros and cons so it really comes down to personal preference. Most people tend to stick with their brand and recommend their brand because that is what they are most comfortable with. No one brand is the best out there as they all have good things to offer
Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

You might ask if any of the members of your family have a machine that they are not using. I grew up learning to sew but only really got into quilting during the mid 80s. You might want to look into join a group of quilters such as a guild. Many members might have extra notions that they would be willing to pass onto you. Good Luck, I am disable so almost every day I quilt, mostly charity quilts.