Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on sewing machines >

Suggestions on sewing machines

Suggestions on sewing machines

Old 05-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Take some time to think about what you are going to be using the machine for and what your requirements will be. As an example, for mostly quilting, you may not want all the extras you would use for apparel sewing, but the harp area will be very important. Once you have thought about your needs and desires, go to a sewing center and sit down at a variety of machines. (I would throw some large scraps in my purse to sew on in case they only have tiny little pieces.) Most new machines will have the basic functions such as needle down and several decorative stitches, but older machines might not. And, while new machines are wonderful, some of us work on both older and newer and it would be hard to pick our favorites! Kind of like your kids, at times you prefer one over the other, but can't pick a favorite!!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Everyone is going to answer that their machine is best! I would visit sewing machine dealers in your area. Purchasing a machine from a dealer will give you someone to call if you have a problem. Many dealers have previously owned machines that they sell with a limited warranty and sometimes a lesson or two on basic usage & maintenance. Until you decide what type of quilting you are going to do, an entry level machine with a zigzag stitch, needle down option and a built in threader is really all you need. If you like quilting, you can eventually invest in a machine with more bells & whistles.
Well said Paper Princess. I bought an inexpensive machine at Walmart that was so easy to learn to use, that when I decided to buy a big fancy machine, I bought the same brand from a dealer. That one came with an easy to understand instruction book and free classes to learn to use it effectively. In case you want to know, my machines are made by Brother, and have never needed servicing because I take very good care to keep them cleaned out.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:01 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I feel very prepared to look for sewing machines and find the best one for me- a "newbie".
Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 PM

I have 3 janomes and wouldn't trade. When you look for a machine don't let the dealer sell you more than you need. If you are just beginning look for the needle down, the thread helper, 1/4 foot. Some dealers will try to sell you a machine for $1400 but to start with you don't need that but also don't go with the cheaper models for $400/500. When you are at the store ask customers what they like or go to a fabric store and the customers there. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM

I have sewed for many years with my mom's 1950 Singer 15-91(It's in a cabinet.). It worked for sewing anything I wanted it to do. But then I wanted a travel machine for taking to classes and bought a new small portable machine - it had fancy stitches, so after playing around with them then I decided I wanted a machine that could do more. Then I bought my Janome with the table it fits into (it is not a traveling machine) and I learned more things and found I wanted an embroidery machine. Out the gate, get what you can afford. If you already have a basic machine then I highly recommend buying a machine from a dealer that will be able to teach you all the extras you can do with your machine.