Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttin Quilts in Space Bags

Puttin Quilts in Space Bags

Has anyone stored their quilts in a space bag? If so did you experience any problems (permanent wrinkles or creases)? HSN is having a really good today's special and I am thinking about buying it to store my quilts. If not my quilts.....then all my batting and fabric.

Thanks in advance for your responses....

Happy Holidays!!!!!
    Live life as an exclamation and not an explanation.

I wouldn't store my quilts in those. It would scrunch them too much. You could store the batting in them tho.

I have not had ANY luck with the space bags...they leak. Some people have very good luck though, but imho they are not worth the money.
    The important thing is to learn a lesson every time you lose. Life is a learning process and you have to try to learn what's best for you. Let me tell you, life is not fun when you're banging your head against a brick wall all the time.John McEnroe

Blog Entries
    I haven't stored quilts in the Space Bags, but they are great for batting. I have used them for fabric in the past, but it found that once I put all the bags in a bin, it was very heavy. It was kind of a pain when you wanted to fish thru the fabric to find that one you are looking for.

Space bags don't work for me .... My cuz luv luv them ...

I think that fabric stored in a space bag would come out with lots of wrinkles. I don't think they're recommended for quilts for the same reason that plastic bags or containers aren't recommended. Natural fibers need to breathe.

I tried them and found they didn't keep shut tightly and therefore weren't safe. This was for clothes and not for quilts. Would never use with my quilts.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Please don't store your quilts in plastic bags. Moisture builds up inside of plastic. Fabrics need to breathe. Use pillowcases or spead on a guest bed in layers if you have the room. If you make bags out of muslin you can make them any size you want to store your quilts in. Just my opinion.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I was thinking of using one to ship a quilt. Thought maybe I could shrink it down to a smaller size so I could take advantage of priority shipping in a smaller package. What do you think? Since it's only short term I thought the wrinkles might not set in too badly. Be interested in any opinions.

Using plastic bags to shrink a quilt to manageable size for shipping should be OK. I would send storing instructions with the quilt you are shipping to remind them not to leave the quilt in the plastic.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast