Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: PVC pipe quilting frame

I recently saw a posting where someones Dh had built them a quilting frame out of PVC pipe, now i can't find it. Would whoever posted it or anyone else that know how please send me the directions. Have damaged the tendon in my arm and can no longer quilt with a hoop. Dr. says may never be able to again.

Please help.

Jane Sisk

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Sisk
    I recently saw a posting where someones Dh had built them a quilting frame out of PVC pipe, now i can't find it. Would whoever posted it or anyone else that know how please send me the directions. Have damaged the tendon in my arm and can no longer quilt with a hoop. Dr. says may never be able to again.

Please help.

Jane Sisk
    I'm really sorry to hear about your arm. I hope the doctor is wrong and it heals for you! Jane, I for one enjoy quilting without a hoop or frame. Pinning or basting really well will give you that option with hand quilting. I have a PVC frame but I never use any frame or hoop anymore. I love it that way too.......less bulk to be moving around. Just my opinion though.

I had one for sale (put it on E-bay, it's sold....sorry!), but it was commercially made. It 'may' be cheaper to get one already made, than to have DH do it because it had some specialty corners that I don't think you can get at the hardware store. Check E-bay. There were three of them on earlier this week.

Thanks for the info. I took a look on E-bay and bid on one that is there. Would be easier since I don't have a Dh to build me one.

Jane Sisk

Hi Jane. I just bought my plastic PVC frame from Fabricland in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I paid $60.00 for it (actual price was $79.00, but I have a membership discount). The legs adjust, can tilt, however, I find it stiff to take apart/take down, so I get DH to do this for me. It is a floor model and will hold a large quilt (double size)

I've used my PVC frame and enjoy it because it is so portable and takes up way less space than a wooden frame. Be sure to baste, pin or thread, to keep from having pleats in the back! But it is easy to take the quilt out to look to see how it is quilting.

Another Sharon