Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: PVC pipe frame

Becky 821 asked for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used to have one of those, but donated it to our guild. I found it hard to reach into the middle once the quilt was in place, and it was harder on my back than working with just a lap frame of the same style. I didn't have room to leave it set up indefinitely either.

Those are exactly the problems I have with it. It's mostly a place to store the quilt I'm working on--I went back to quilting on the lap frame instead.

I have the PVC frame. I, too, have difficulty getting to the center. I'm not familiar with the lap frame. Is that just a large embroidery-looking hoop?
    Actually I'm not really comfortable doing any kind of hand quilting. It's the reason that I have resorted to machine quilting on my domestic machine.

I have one, it is sitting in a box taking up space... lol

I ditto Shadows words....I did use mine but as everyone is saying reaching the middle is hard but i just moved the quilt to the spot I needed to work on and it worked fine.

I have one also, I usually use it with 2 legs & rest the other side in my lap so I'm able to quilt in my recliner. I don't use it much anymore as I think it stretches the quilt.
    I have the John Flynn frame & use it both for machine & hand quilting.
    Jo

I've been brainstorming ideas about quilting frames in the house. If I put up my big frame, it cuts off most of the living room. I won't be able to bring that out until Christmas.

What is a John Flynn frame? How is a lap frame different from a PVC. Is it possible to put a pvc frame on your lap? Do they make the hoops to hand quilt in with any kind of stand? I was thinking about putting a stand next to my chair and then putting a hoop or something on top of it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold the hoop with one hand while I quilt with the other. I tend to quilt with both hands and I need something else to hold the quilt.

Blog Entries
    You can get an oval hoop frame on a stand for lap quilting - I have the one my grandmother used. It has a cost of about $50 or less.

I'm looking for a link...
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...t3463&start=17
    scroll down to the F.A. Edwards Hoop with frame for $42.85.

This tilts just fine, is stable, and sits on the floor.

I hand quilt without a frame and do just fine. I use this one less and less...

I also have the Grace EZ3 but haven't even put a quilt on it. I just like to quilt in my lap...

OOOOHHHHHHHHH that looks really nice. I saw the other items on there cheaper, 25.00 I think, but they look flimsy. I really like that 42.00 number. I'll have to put a JoAnn's gift card on my Christmas wish list. I wonder if I could buy something like that used.

Thanks for the link, that's definitely something I would like. I don't make really small quilts. The smallest I make are toddler quilts and those are larger than crib size. I like it if the babies can use them until they are 4 or 5 or so. Can you put a larger quilt in this same frame, then just move the quilt as I go? I bet you could.

Thanks again!

Melissa

Gail, I use the PVC lap frames for quilting. They are similar to the one shown in first thread, just as a size the use on your lap. Mom got one the other day at Joann's. Plus I think my dad made some when he was better able to use power tools (scary thought nowadays). So I have one that is about 14x14 that I use to quilt the blocks with and one that used to be probably about 24x24, but I had hubby cut it down to about 14x24 that I use for my borders so I don't have to move as often.

PVC's come in lap size too? Hmmmm....I really think I'm going to have to think on this one. I see more research in my future.

You can see the Flynn Frame here http://www.flynnquilt.com
    The frame can be any size you want & there is a stand available. Added bonus: you don't have to baste the quilt.
    Jo

I've learned to quilt without a frame.