Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: QAYG Borders

QAYG Borders

My frame will only hold a quilt up to 86 inches wide. I want to make the one I am working on bigger. QUESTION --- have any of you done the quilting on the frame then quilted the borders separately then attached with QAYG method? If so how did you do it?
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Blog Entries
    This is the method I used. You will have to scroll down past the block construction to where she joins her blocks.
    Ditter's string quilt
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

This is an awesome idea for those of us who quilt on a DSM. If the borders are added later it will eliminate having all of that bulk under the machine. Ditter's tute is very good -- great pictures.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I've made several large quilts using this method: http://lifeisbeautifulbom.wordpress....u-go-tutorial/

I made a queen and a king bedspread and the overhang (borders) were quilted separate from the bed surface area, then joined by this method. It made working with the quilt a lot easier on my regular sewing machine. The downside is hand-sewing the sash on the back (it can be done by machine). A real plus to using this method is the sashing is a great guide for making the bed.

Adding borders after quilting the center is one of the great techniques described in Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. Yes, you can do it.