Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quality of fabrics made outside the USA?

Blog Entries
    I am curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on the quality of fabrics made outside the USA. I was looking at a bolt yesterday and it said Made in Korea. What should I be looking for as far as quality is concerned?

I usually look to see if it is see through and if it stretches. I also didn't like some I got that had a slickness to it. I have been much more careful since then to make sure it is 100% cotton.

But are there other considerations when looking at something not American made? I like to support American made products but don't go overboard on the idea that I can't buy it if it wasn't made here.

I would just like to know if anyone has had any experiences with this.

Blog Entries
    I don't think any of them are made in the US. Even connecting threads fabric isn't. The cotton is grown in the US and shipped overseas for the fabric to be made.

what fabric do you buy thats made in the USA?

Blog Entries
    These are two of my favorite manufacturers

Cranston Village is made in the USA. The factory is in Webster Mass.

And Fabri-Quilt is made in Kansas City Mo.
    http://www.fabri-quilt.com/default.asp

The last bolt I bought from Cranston was printed so crooked no amount of straightening could make it right. Had to fussy cut to get useable pieces.

So American made does not always equal quality! Just saying.

Banned
    i doubt there is any fabric which is not made outside the USA One of the last plants which is near me, stopped printing about 4 yrs ago. They may be one or two.
    Manufacturers have been printing outside USA for several years now. What you have been using as quilt shop quality has all been made overseas.

Banned
    and i just got an email that the Webster plant, whih has not printed for 3-4 years is soon to close. They have been doubling and bolting there now for over a yr.

I was told a while ago that no fabric is printed/made in the US anymore.

And as for Fabri-Quilt, the KC plant is used solely to fabricate the Fabri-Quilt Hospitality products, not the Fabri-Quilt, Inc. fabrics. Fabri-Quilt Hospitality makes and sells bed coverings and window treatments to the hospitality and health care industries. Their fabric is neither milled nor printed in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I am curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on the quality of fabrics made outside the USA. I was looking at a bolt yesterday and it said Made in Korea. What should I be looking for as far as quality is concerned?

I usually look to see if it is see through and if it stretches. I also didn't like some I got that had a slickness to it. I have been much more careful since then to make sure it is 100% cotton.

But are there other considerations when looking at something not American made? I like to support American made products but don't go overboard on the idea that I can't buy it if it wasn't made here.

I would just like to know if anyone has had any experiences with this.
    I was told some time back that the fabrics are all made outside of the USA due to polution regulations. They can still print fabric some of the places, but the fabric itself is made outside of our USA. If you are concerned about quality, you need to look at the fabric itself. You sometimes can find a print on high quality fabric and also the same print on a cheaper quality of fabric. Another way is to just ask.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast