Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quatrefoil quilt >

Quatrefoil quilt

Quatrefoil quilt

Old 05-24-2015, 01:43 PM

She gives all the requirements and cutting the strips etc in the very beginning.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I buy a lot of layer cakes and I don't think they are a waste of money at all. To get the variety of fabric squares that are in a layer cake I'd have to cut twenty different fabrics twice.
I completely agree. THe pattern is designed to fit the fabric so it works great for a layer cake. Regardless of the quilt police I think sashing and cornerstones can be whatever you want it to be.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Oh my that is a lovely quilt...I have to catch up a little more of UFO before I dare even look through my stash to make one... . I think the sashing fabric is the background which she gave yardage for and the 2-1/2 square are left overs from layer that the center 4-1/2 inch squares were cut.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM

I buy a lot of layer cakes and I don't think they are a waste of money at all. To get the variety of fabric squares that are in a layer cake I'd have to cut twenty different fabrics twice.
I agree completely. With layer cakes, all your fabrics are already coordinated for you.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:24 AM

It looks like she used the left over 10" squares that she used to cut the center of each block for the setting sashing squares
Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 AM

I made the Quatrefoil quilt but used yardage not precuts. I used the fabric from my inner four patch for the cornerstones to complete the design when sewn together. If you put a background for the cornerstone you do not get a pattern where the corners meet. It makes a beautiful quilt and I love mine.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
Thanks for all the info. I saw the fabric requirements and have what is called for, she just doesn't say what fabric to use for the cornerstones or how many blocks to make.
Thank you Feathers-N-Fur for the details.
ive noticed that in some videos she says the number of blocks for the size quilt she's demoing, and if she does this she often gives the number of blocks or rows needed for other sizes. In others, like the Quatrofoil Quilt she gives the number of blocks in each row and the number of rows for the demo quilt. (Towards the end she says 4 in a row and 5 rows-so 20). This usually seems to happen with quilts that would most often work as a lap or any size bed quilt. FYI -for all MSQC fans: a nice feature on their website- go to the tutorials section and find the one you want. Below the picture is a written description with a "read more" link. Choose that and it will have the fabric requirements, a picture of the block featured and the precuts and yardage she used plus some alternative yardage choices. Adding this to my "definitely a pillow to try the block" list, then maybe one of my quilt lists.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
I completely agree. THe pattern is designed to fit the fabric so it works great for a layer cake. Regardless of the quilt police I think sashing and cornerstones can be whatever you want it to be.
This has nothing to do with quilt police. It's your quilt, and you can do what you like with it. But if you make sashing with leftover 10 in. squares, it will not have the pattern that Jenny has. I really don't think you would like it. To make the quilt turn out, the sashing needs to be the same as the background fabric in the 4-patches.
Happy quilting
Old 05-25-2015, 06:41 AM

Great quilt and I'm always looking for patterns to use my pre-cuts. Isn't Jenny great! Susan
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM

I agree Onebyone. I get a lot of layer cakes. If I had to coordinate all those colors I would never get anything done.