Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about batting >

Question about batting

Question about batting

Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 PM

DH and I disagree about the weight of the covering on our bed. I would like to make a quilt with the lightest possible weight of batting that I can find. I like for the bedspread/quilt to have some weight and we still use the lightest down cover we can find even in the summer. Anything heavier and he complains about the weight pulling down on his feet while he is sleeping. I have had two different king sized bedspreads that have had to find new homes. It needs to be washable. What would you suggest? Ann in TN
Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 PM

For the lightest weight use a low loft poly.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Thermore is a good poly thin batting. comes in a gray plastic bag. Hobby Lobby has it.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:13 PM

how about no batting for summer?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

If you have a covering that works now maybe you could make a duvet cover for it. Just a thought.:)
Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
If you have a covering that works now maybe you could make a duvet cover for it. Just a thought.:)
I am concerned that it would weigh too much for DH if I did that since it would add the weight of two more layers of fabric. In the winter we use an electric blanket so we can both adjust the amount of heat we want but don't have the weight. Just did a cross country trip staying in hotels and those bedspreads weigh a ton! Can't imagine how tired someone would be after struggling with it all night. I am menopausal so I would be fighting with it. Ann
Old 06-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Try wool batting. It is lightweight, allows ventilation in the summer, and warm in the winter, Also quilts beautifully. Yes, I know it isn't cheap. Longarmers purchase it by the roll.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

DREAM WOOL!!! the wool batts are (lofty-without weight)
light weight- breathable- warm in the winter- cool in the summer- my whole cloth quilt with wool batt stays on the bed year round and is WONDERFUL!
Originally Posted by ncredbird
DH and I disagree about the weight of the covering on our bed. I would like to make a quilt with the lightest possible weight of batting that I can find. I like for the bedspread/quilt to have some weight and we still use the lightest down cover we can find even in the summer. Anything heavier and he complains about the weight pulling down on his feet while he is sleeping. I have had two different king sized bedspreads that have had to find new homes. It needs to be washable. What would you suggest? Ann in TN
Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

dream orient, dream bamboo- are also good choices for lightweight-lofty-wonderful drape, needles beautifully

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Banned

Wool.