Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about a Bernina >

Question about a Bernina

Question about a Bernina

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM

The 1120 is a great machine! It takes the "old stlye" presser feet. The price on the presser feet average between $25 to $40 each, brand new. But you might find some used ones on ebay. We sold a used Bernina 1030 from the store for $425, but it had all of it's accessories. The 1120 is a better machine, but without any accessories, and it needing a service, I'd probably feel good about paying $400 for it.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I have many vintage Berninas and they're wonderful machines. The feet are expensive because they're all metal and last a life time. I have Bernina feet that are 50 years old and still going strong. They're not plastic junk that's available now.

The 1120 is a coveted machine and Berninas retain their value over any other sewing manufacturer. I own 30 machines from many different makers and Berninas are the Rolls Royce of machines.

With that being said, your BIL should take it in to an authorized Bernina dealer and pay the $100 for servicing to make sure it's fully operational. Then you can consider an offer. If the board is out it could cost you upwards of $400 for repair, so it's important to know all the facts before you can make an educated decision.
Candace is right...The board is the most likely item to be bad. Especially if the machine was stored in a place without heat or air conditioning. The older Berninas will run forever. I have a 1030 and a 1031, my Mom has a 930 and I have requested that she wills it to me. You don't need a lot of the feet if you are a quilter....just the regular foot and a 1/4" foot, walking foot and one for FM. Maybe they can be found on Ebay.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
Candace is right...The board is the most likely item to be bad. Especially if the machine was stored in a place without heat or air conditioning. The older Berninas will run forever. I have a 1030 and a 1031, my Mom has a 930 and I have requested that she wills it to me. You don't need a lot of the feet if you are a quilter....just the regular foot and a 1/4" foot, walking foot and one for FM. Maybe they can be found on Ebay.
THANK YOU all for you good comments/advise. My BIL is looking for the additional feet as well as the manual. Hopefully it can be found. Will let you all know what the 'final' verdict is when it is all said and done.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 AM

I wouldn't buy it. You could get a used machine with all the doodads instead.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM

I would pay 200 bucks sight unseen. Know you are going to throw in a 125-150 dollar tuneup. $350 for this machine is an amazing price. Now look. You are a quilter. 98% of the time your machine is straight stitching with a 1/4" seam. Does he have the foot pedal? That would take 100 bucks off the price if it is not there. Much more important than the presser feet. You only need a Number 1 Presser foot to make it work. It isn't hanging from the foot mount? Tell your BIL to look for a red carrying box made out of plastic. I bet most everything is in there. tim 830 Bernina in san jose
Old 02-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Bernies are great machines to sew with! I love my 1630 and would never give her up I bought mine used about 15 years ago and then about 8 years ago bought a used one for my DD as a graduation present - she loves it too This series of Berninas use the older style of foot (has two prongs at the top) and although some of them can be pricey they are solid metal and allow you to do so many wonderfully creative things. The Bernina home site has lots of manual info online and also info on what the different feet can do and how to use them.

I would jump at the chance for a 1120 - I suggest that you get it checked out and serviced to make sure that all is ok and then make a deal with your BIL based on the service bill - you won't be disappointed with this machine!

Last edited by costumegirl; 02-17-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Sorry but if has been sitting for that long, DBIL should give it you to enjoy and maybe make him a quilt for it.

Does he just want to get rid of it? he should give it a good home. Was it your sisters machine. He should give it to you. He should give it to you. He should give it to you!

Does he need the $. Sell on E-bay. I also think you would spend more on accessories and tune ups than it is worth.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 02-17-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I also think you would spend more on accessories and tune ups than it is worth.
peace
A sewing machine that will outlast you has what value?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM

I love Bernina sewing machines, but don't like to do business with family
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 PM

As for as I'm concerned Candace and Jackie are spot on! I've sewn on and owned many different brands in many different settings. In the 80's I was allowed to sew on a friends Bernina and I coveted it until 2000 when my husband bought me my very own! Best machines ever! In my opinion😉