Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about a Bernina >

Question about a Bernina

Question about a Bernina

Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 AM

Red face Question about a Bernina

I have a questions for all you wonderful ladies that have a Bernina sewing machine. I have a chance to purchase a Bernina 1120 from my brother-in-law. It was his mother-in-laws and she's been gone about 7-8 years now. The machine has seen setting in storage since then. He does not have the manual or any of the extra feet or tools that usually come with a sewing machine. It does sew. I currently have a Janome but have always wanted a Bernina. How much should I be willing to pay for this? I've seen one out on Ebay with everything this one is missing for around $400-$450. Any and all ideas/suggestions would be welcome. I do realize I will need to get it serviced immediately (if I purchase it) and that is usually over $100. Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with that model but I would be concerned about how it was stored. If it was kept in the heated house then it shouldn't have rusted parts. The grease will need to be replaced and have a good go over by a technician.
The first order of business would be to see if it sews. How many feet come with it? They can run about $50 each. What shape are the foot and cords in?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't pay more then $100 if you don't know what condition it is in. So many non sewers think any older machine is vintage and worth a lot. Honestly I would save up and buy a used one from a dealer. If it was his mother in law's he probably doesn't have a sentimental interest in the machine, seems he would just give it to you.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-16-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by shihtzulover View Post
I have a questions for all you wonderful ladies that have a Bernina sewing machine. I have a chance to purchase a Bernina 1120 from my brother-in-law. It was his mother-in-laws and she's been gone about 7-8 years now. The machine has seen setting in storage since then. He does not have the manual or any of the extra feet or tools that usually come with a sewing machine. It does sew. I currently have a Janome but have always wanted a Bernina. How much should I be willing to pay for this? I've seen one out on Ebay with everything this one is missing for around $400-$450. Any and all ideas/suggestions would be welcome. I do realize I will need to get it serviced immediately (if I purchase it) and that is usually over $100. Thanks
I don't know if this will help you, but last year I bought an 1130 at a yard sale. It was her late mother's and had most of the feet, manual, and the case. The specialty stitches did not work (I tested the machine before I left there) so I was able to purchase for $150. Very nice machine. Bernina's are great machines (at least the ones I have used). I did have to have it serviced, but probably would have done that anyway just to get off to a good start.

To me, it is worth purchasing and having it serviced.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by shihtzulover View Post
I don't know if this will help you, but last year I bought an 1130 at a yard sale. It was her late mother's and had most of the feet, manual, and the case. The specialty stitches did not work (I tested the machine before I left there) so I was able to purchase for $150. Very nice machine. Bernina's are great machines (at least the ones I have used). I did have to have it serviced, but probably would have done that anyway just to get off to a good start.

To me, it is worth purchasing and having it serviced.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 PM

I think you might end up spending more for feet than the machine is worth. Bernina's are super expensive for some reason.
tell him that, nicely, he might just fling it your way anyway. Otherwise I'd pass. Or he might decide to dig deeper and find the accessories.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM

Me I would pass because berninas accessories are too expensive IMHO, but that's just me. After I sewed on one I think their machines are overly hyped up to more than they are worth. I think most of them are overpriced. I wouldn't pay over 100 if it doesn't have feet as those will be an investment for you at their price plus the servicing
Old 02-16-2015, 02:44 PM

I have many vintage Berninas and they're wonderful machines. The feet are expensive because they're all metal and last a life time. I have Bernina feet that are 50 years old and still going strong. They're not plastic junk that's available now.

The 1120 is a coveted machine and Berninas retain their value over any other sewing manufacturer. I own 30 machines from many different makers and Berninas are the Rolls Royce of machines.

With that being said, your BIL should take it in to an authorized Bernina dealer and pay the $100 for servicing to make sure it's fully operational. Then you can consider an offer. If the board is out it could cost you upwards of $400 for repair, so it's important to know all the facts before you can make an educated decision.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I have many vintage Berninas and they're wonderful machines. The feet are expensive because they're all metal and last a life time. I have Bernina feet that are 50 years old and still going strong. They're not plastic junk that's available now.

The 1120 is a coveted machine and Berninas retain their value over any other sewing manufacturer. I own 30 machines from many different makers and Berninas are the Rolls Royce of machines.

With that being said, your BIL should take it in to an authorized Bernina dealer and pay the $100 for servicing to make sure it's fully operational. Then you can consider an offer. If the board is out it could cost you upwards of $400 for repair, so it's important to know all the facts before you can make an educated decision.
I agree with every word she said!! I have had several machines over my life time from Kenmores to Riccars , Viking and Janome, and for the last several years my Bernina! Best machine i ever bought!!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1530 in the same line and it is still my favorite DSM. I have owned it since it was new in the box. I have collected the feet over the years. I ONLY use a walking foot and a 1/4" foot so it is NOT a big expense. They all came with a rectangle box that fit into the back of the machine. Tell him the concern you have about the condition of the machine. I myself would buy it as a back up. Make sure it is in good running shape and take a flashlight and look at the bobbin case. Bernina need to be service every 12 to 18 months.