Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about charity quilts >

question about charity quilts

question about charity quilts

Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default question about charity quilts

I'm joining my church's quilting group (finally making time for it). They make 60-80 quilts for Lutheran World Relief each year.

And, since it is a church group that's doing it, and it would be nice (IMHO) to have the recipients know why we are sending these quilts (because it's a mission and we're serving God's people wherever they may be), I was wondering if it would be a good idea or a bad idea to include just one block of Christian fabric. Maybe one of the ones pictured below. We'd like for the recipients to know that we care, but also WHY we care.

I thought I would run it by the people here, because I know a lot of you do make charity quilts.

(I will also ask Lutheran World Relief.)

So what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails whicrosgld.jpg   mmcross.jpg   ttversenat.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM

If your Lutheran Relief will accept quilts with that fabric then I think itis wonderful! I would be surprised if they didn't have some written rules covering Christian fabrics. IMHO when a Christian organization gives it should be expected that the gift will have some Christian witness with it. If a country wants to refuse help because it doesn't want the influence of the Christian symbols, then, IMHO, it should apply for help from a non Christian source. Christians give because Christ gave us the instruction to love, to show God's love to others. I think it should be expected the help would be different than help from a government agency or from a different type of religion.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Depending on where the quilts are sent, would showing a Christian symbol put the recipient at risk? Some countries/groups are not very tolerant of religion in general.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM

I have had some experience quilting for LWR and have read some of their literature (online and from mailings). My understanding is that Christian and patriotic symbols are not desired on the quilts. The reason is that LWR partners with different agencies in different countries - MANY different agencies. This is in an effort to be efficient with the distribution. In fact, LWR has an excellent rating when it comes to low overhead. Lutheran World Relief is a disaster relief agency that does not care what nationality or religion the recipients are, and it respects the beliefs of the recipients and refugees it serves. It puts a lot of energy into finding partner agencies that it can trust to do fair distribution and that are free of graft.

When LWR receives quilts from donors, it is often in bulk from the trucks that collect blankets. They package for efficient shipping, and as far as I know, they do not do much inspection -- certainly not enough to separate quilts suitable for one ethnic group from another. To me the mission is to provide relief, and the Christian witness is through the giving.

I applaud your involvement! I think you will find it a rewarding experience to be working with others in your church who so lovingly are giving of their time, talent, and materials to help people who are in dire need.

I will follow this thread to see if anyone has heard differently from LWR. I know that the guidelines do change from time to time.

Dayle
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Each organization that takes part in quilt charities may have its own requirements. Some groups are very particular. I would pose this question at a higher level in the organization.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention --

Your quilting group at church may well be making other quilts for people in the community in addition to LWR quilts, and it would be very appropriate for you to use your Christian fabric in those. They may be lap blankets for nursing home residents, quilts for camps and youth group homes, or quilts for shelters. My mother's group makes quilts for members of the congregation who enter assisted living. Other churches make prayer quilts for someone suffering illness or loss -- the Christian symbol fabric would be so welcome in those quilts!

Dayle
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

I would not use the fabric in those quilts you are sending overseas. I believe the posts above have given valid reasons for not doing it. Keep your quilt donations non reigious I would also avoid other specific symbols that might suggest politics or contrary to the culture where the quilts may be going. Christian witness is your making something useful and comforting to those receiving the quilt.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

it is usually best to keep your charity quilts as (generic)---non-controversal---as possible. you don't want to cause problems- you want to provide comfort and warmth.
religious, political, racial should all be avoided
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM

a gift of comfort and warmth should be just that. the minute you start to claim credit for it, it's not charity any longer...it's a deal.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM

As long as a church mission I don't see anything thing wrong with using it.