Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Feed Dogs

How do you lower Yours when you are FMQ? I have a kenmore machine and have NO IDEA how this is done.

TIA

Blog Entries
    There is usually some kind of lever that lowers them. :D:D:D

I have never seen an extra lever LOL

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    There is usually some kind of lever that lowers them. :D:D:D

My machine has a large square button on the side that lowers the feed dogs. I think you can also put something over the feed dogs if your machine doesn't allow them to be lowered. I'm not sure what people have used, but I know I've read about it here on the board. Hopefully someone can tell us.

If your machine doesn't have a way to lower them you can take a piece of cardboard and tape it down to cover them. Use a 3 x 5 card or something of similar weight but without printing on it. (the ink can transfer to your quilt).

OK, so some machines DON'T lower them? Maybe mine is one of those...I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    My machine has a large square button on the side that lowers the feed dogs. I think you can also put something over the feed dogs if your machine doesn't allow them to be lowered. I'm not sure what people have used, but I know I've read about it here on the board. Hopefully someone can tell us.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine as a button/switch in the back of the machine.
    My older machine did not have that capability.

Blog Entries
    Which model do you have? I have 3...a 158.1430 a 158.1914 and a 385.1915. All three have drop feed capability. The first 2 are 70's mechanical and the last one is a 90's computerized. Maybe one of us members have the same model and can tell you exactly where it's at.

Blog Entries
    my Janome has a switch behind the feed dogs but i must remove the front storage part of the machine first to get to that switch.
    i must say i took a fmq class and was told not to lower my feed dogs. so you can do fmq without them down. it does depend on the fabric and batting i've found. so i've done fmq both ways.

Look all around the base part of the machine and then on the right side under the wheel. My switch is on the front but old machine was on the side. But if you noticed, some people have levers, some buttons, some on the front, others on the back. If you have a manual it should tell you, but I'm thinking maybe there isn't a manual?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast