Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing >

Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing

Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing

Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 PM

I remember from chemistry class that alcohols break down oils, so if you use an essential oil, in some type of alcohol like vodka, you should have no staining, but check on a few scraps first. Use it to press, then wait a couple days to see if shadows develop. If they do, don't use it to press.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 PM

I buy it from the Dollar General for under $3.00 where I live in MO. comes with a nice spray bottle and is clearly marked for contents and I don't have to be a mixologist. Hope this helps
Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 AM

I am an Aromatherapist and Prism99 is correct in saying that essential oils are not actually an 'oil' and shouldn't stain fabric (except maybe for the thicker and darker oils, avoid these). Please be very careful though and ensure that the essential oils you use are 100% pure. Many unscrupulous sellers actually dilute the more expensive essential oils with various carrier oils to make them go further. The carrier oils will DEFINITELY stain your fabric! Read the label carefully and buy a well known, reputable brand. I once bought a bottle of Sandlewood (santalum album) essential oil which said 100% pure on the label. When I opened it and discovered it wasn't pure, I contacted the dealer who assured me that it was an oversight on their part and in no way intentional. Yeah right! They replaced it with another bottle of diluted santalum album!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Weird. I used the fragrant Best Press on some fabric, and everywhere it dropped, I ended up with brown marks that looked like scorch marks. It did wash out but sure turned me off on using it. Now I have a bunch that I can't use.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

The starch from potato vodka is eliminated in the manufacturing process. There is no starch in potato vodka. Maybe a different taste made from potato but no starch. I have no clue what good vodka is suppose to taste like, it all smells horrible to me.