Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing >

Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing

Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing

Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Question about fragrant water in spray bottle for ironing

Several years ago I bought some fragrant water from Bed Bath and Beyond to spray on my quilt fabric as I ironed. I used it then but not since. The other day I decided I had to have some of that nice smelling water so went to BB&B and sure enough, they don't sell it anymore. Well, now of course, I am obsessed. I searched amazon dot com and E bay. They have it, but I couldn't decide if it was the same thing, and afraid it might stain. So I started investigating all over the Net.

(Before I mention what I have found out, I want you to know I do use Best Press, and love the nice smell, but I want the fragrant water too.)

So, here is what I learned from Pinterest and beyond. You can make your own fragrant water for spraying it onto bedding, etc. by mixing essential oil with either vodka or Witch Hazel and distilled water.They didn't mention you could iron with it. I discovered that essential oils are not an oil at all. In fact it is rather drying on the skin. If it were a real oil, I know better than to use it on fabric. You can make your own spray for a fraction of the price of that special fragrant water on amazon and other places on the Web.

My question: Do you know where I can purchase it already made up? Does anyone here make this? Do you spray it directly on fabric for ironing? And mostly, does it "yellow" as time goes by? Any advise at all will help in my research. TIA. (thanks in advance.)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 AM

I make my own vodka/water in place of using Best Press which is rather pricey. I don't use any scent in it though.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

From what I have read, essential oils *are* oils. They are just a special kind of oil called volatile aromatic compounds, which simply means that they change from their liquid state to gas easily. Essential oils by themselves can stain fabric:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1230924AAq3je9
On the other hand, many quilters make up their own Best Press and use a drop or two of essential oil in the mixture without obvious harm to fabric. Probably the dilution in vodka or witch hazel is enough to prevent staining. Plus the heat from the iron would hasten the oil's change in state from liquid to gas.

Edit: Here is an article that explains what essential oils are:
https://doterra.com/US/en/what-is-an-essential-oil
Old 01-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson had a recipe for scented water to put in your iron for steam. It uses a few drops of essential oil, vodka and water.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM

I also make my own, 1/8 part Vodka to 7/8 water...I looked for the essential oil but is not find it so I left it out and I press with it.

My daughter came into my sewing room, pull me to a side and asked " mom why do you have a half bottle of Vodka in here?"... he he.. After I explained she was alright with it.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Question to those who use vodka/water. Does it really stiffen your fabric or just
make it nice and flat? I've not been impressed by Best Press at all.
Would be nice to find a starch alternative...specially when working with black.
I'm making a wall-hanging with black fabric and don't want white patches on it.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:12 PM

I use Faultles Premium Spray Starch, the Premium does not leave any marks on fabric, even black.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 PM

It does give a bit of "body", but I add a tblsp of Sta-Flo liquid starch. I also found a vodka recipe that uses 1/3 cup vodka to 3 cups of water. I like it a lot! Don't need to wait for it to dry before you iron it
Only thing I found is that it really dries your hands! Dio use a "mister" as opposed to a spray bottle to apply it though.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:03 AM

You can get essential oil online on many sites. Also, they have it at Whole Foods over with the soaps and stuff. I'm not sure, but I would guess they have it at candle shops and places like that.

bkay
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I make my own vodka/water in place of using Best Press which is rather pricey. I don't use any scent in it though.
I have used "Potato Vodka" for years. Was given this tip by a well know by a well known speaker at a workshop. The ratio I use is 3 parts water - l part vodka. The potato part is what gives a little starch. Takes out all wrinkles and honestly, there is a very nice aroma. (of course, you could take a swig when times get rough LOL)