Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about hand quilting >

Question about hand quilting

Question about hand quilting

Old 08-17-2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all your answers. Gutterman and Coats are the only threads available in my area. I'll be looking on the web for your recommendations. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 AM

I prefer Mettler quilting thread. It glides smoothly through the layers without needing Thread Heaven or whatever. I do find it important to use a shorter piece of thread to help with tangles - a foot or so max. I don't usually mark as I usually outline my pieces about 1/4" from the seams. When I do mark, I use painter's tape (the blue kind with a rough surface). I never have luck with blue marking pens washing back out, but I also have trouble washing out pencil lines, even tho our foremothers used pencil.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM

All the above. I use what matches/contrasts depending on the quilt. I have had great success with the Ultra-Washable Crayola Markers. BUT I always wash my quilts before gifting.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 AM

I was a Frixon pen lover. I have had some not completely iron out recently. Have a friend who couldn't get her lines to go away. She tried ironing, washing, ink remover and couldn't get it off. Just be careful. I'm not using them any longer.
I do realize it might be what the fabric is treated with but not taking the chance
Robin in TX
Old 08-18-2016, 04:25 PM

I always use 100% cotton thread when I am hand quilting and I have used various brands with good results. I like to use marking pens than iron out and if I am using a stencil for the quilting pattern I like to have a sharp point. One of my favorite markers is a used piece of bath soap. I let the slivers of soap dry out and they are perfect for marking on darker fabrics and I always wash my quits when they are finished so the soap is gone without any residue.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM

I use "hand quilting" thread because it is a little thicker (or feels like it) with the coating on it. I usually use C&C.