Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about hand quilting

I am interested in doing some hand quilting. Do you have to use a hoop? Can you hand quilt a quilt that has been sprayed??? I am not sure where to start. I quilted years ago on a stretched frame, but that was a long time ago.

I have always used a hoop, but I've seen others that do the quilt as you go method hand quilt without a hoop. What has your quilt been sprayed with?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I use a hoop b/c it keeps the fabric taut and my stitching looks better. Not sure what spray you are referring to??? Oh- I use a hoop for quilting, not the other ones but you probably know that.

Blog Entries
    Are you referring to the 505 spray? If you're not going to use a hoop then you should probably spray. I use a hoop to help keep the hot quilt off my lap abd I can maneuver the quilt and my stitches better.

Yes, the 505 spray..

Some people quilt without a hoop or a frame, and enjoy hand quilting that way.

I use a small hoop - it gives me flexibility and control. I've tried a large hoop on a stand but I found that I got a sore arm and shoulder after quilting for long periods.

Frames aren't for me, as I haven't worked out how to quilt in multiple directions.

So far I haven't sprayed any quilt - so I can't comment on that for you.

Do what works for you, and what feels right for your body.

I've tried hand quilting with a hoop - doesn't work for me - I've also tried hand embroidering with a hoop - again, it doesn't work for me - but I do large quilts on a frame, and for some reason, that works for me! So, my smaller projects: no hoop, no frame - that works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis b
    I am interested in doing some hand quilting. Do you have to use a hoop? Can you hand quilt a quilt that has been sprayed??? I am not sure where to start. I quilted years ago on a stretched frame, but that was a long time ago.
    I use a hoop and I always start in the middle of the quilt and work out to the edges.

Blog Entries
    I just found this link about hand quilting, as I am learning this technique

http://crafts.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Hand_Quilting

I do handquilting. Tried a hoop, didn't work for me. I usually just do it right on my lap, but I'm working on one now that is on a table - largest one I've done so far. I agree - one must just find out what is the better way for them - try the hoop, if it doesn't work... I bought a cheaper one just in case it didn't work - I didn't feel too bad not using it then.