Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about I Spy quilts

After you sew a row together, do you press seams to one side or apart? Thanks

There's two ways of thinking here. One is to press every other row to one side (row 1 to the left, row two to the right). Method two is to press all of the seams open. I'm not a hand quilter, so I don't know which is easier.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    depends, are you doing squares? or the hexagons? with hex pattern, its way less bulk at junctions to press open... with squares, its your preference (I do alternating sides on squares)

Okay so I have one row of squares sewed together, I am sewing them by machine, so I sew all the seems to the, say, leftand on the next row sew them all to the right? Is that what u r saying? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    depends, are you doing squares? or the hexagons? with hex pattern, its way less bulk at junctions to press open... with squares, its your preference (I do alternating sides on squares)

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    if you're using square cut fabric, yes ~ you can press the seams open, but I find lining up squares is easier to do the "one row left, next row right" method...

Depending on how large your quilt will be, sometimes it works better to divide into quadrants... i.e. if you have 9 squares across, and 9 squares down total, then you'd do "interim blocks" of 3x3 ... then after those are assembled, you'd do the final joining... I have found my quilt tops are much more square that way.

We love pictures here, so please share! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squilter
    Okay so I have one row of squares sewed together, I am sewing them by machine, so I sew all the seems to the, say, leftand on the next row sew them all to the right? Is that what u r saying? Thanks
    This is how I would press them :D:D:D