Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about interfacing for t-shirt quilts

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Question about interfacing for t-shirt quilts

I am going to make a t-shirt quilt and I read where they say to use non-woven but what I have is woven......I think that is how it goes.......whichever it is I have the opposite. Will it really make that much of a difference?
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

I use a knit fusible interfacing. The t-shirt stays soft and flexible.

I like the tricot (knit) fusible. It gives it a nice weight with out being heavy. BUT ...once you quilt it, the ONLY person who will know what fusible you used is...YOU! No Quilt Police are going to come and take your quilt apart, only to give you a citation of fusible non-compliance. :-D Try a piece of a knit and what ever you have and see which one you like better.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I use a knit fusible interfacing. The t-shirt stays soft and flexible.
    I also use the knit fusible interfacing and it keeps the shirt soft and flexible and doesn't seem to add much weight to the shirt. I always make sure that the "stretch" in the interfacing goes in the opposite direction from the shirt. That shirt will not give in any direction while you are working with it. Ann

It was suggested to use the ''cheapest" fusible interfacing available, by a longarmer. We went to Joann's found the cheap Pellon on a small bolt. It was fusible, very easy to use. It worked very well.

The stretch of the t shirt is around your body, figure out the stretch of the woven interfacing, usually selvage to selvage. One goes up and down and the other side to side. Make a big cross with the two pieces of fabric.

woven interfacing is fine to use...the difference in woven & non-woven is the fiber- woven is more like a fabric- non-woven is more like a soft paper- non-woven tears easily- woven does not-
    you can use which ever one you have & want to use. (do check your iron setting- the woven *might* shrink a little with too much heat- you could use a press cloth to protect it) i tend to always use woven fusable interfacing- i just like to work with it better than the non-wovens. tricot is nice too- but if you already have the woven there is no reason to go buy something different
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    It was suggested to use the ''cheapest" fusible interfacing available, by a longarmer. We went to Joann's found the cheap Pellon on a small bolt. It was fusible, very easy to use. It worked very well.
    I just finished two t-shirt quilts and I used the cheap stuff from Joann's too. The label says "Pellon, Sheerweight Fusible #906F, 100% Polyester". It only cost $2.49 per yd. and you will need lots of it, because you have so much waste. I went back 2 times for more. This one was thin and soft enough that you still had the t-shirt softness, but it had no more stretch. I recommend it.

I bought the tricot fusible for the quilt I am taking a class for next week...sheerweight... so I guess I should be OK! Looking forward to my class!