Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about konas. >

question about konas.

question about konas.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Default question about konas.

hey-

i can see 274 kona colours on line, but i know none of my local shops have the kona i need for the quilt i am working on and i learned the hard way not to trust on-screen colours when the match is important.

are those colour cards they sell provided to quilt shops? if i drove out to my favorite, how mad would she be if i asked to use it so i can order the 2 yards i need for the border for this not quite right quilt that i cannot wait to send to its owner because i am so done with it?

Thanks!

aileen

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-08-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Are you sure you want Kona? I kind of prefer Moda Bella solids; they have a nicer hand. In any case, you could order your own color card. Here are links to cards at one shop, although they are available at others too:
http://www.fatquartershop.com/kona-c...ids-color-card (271 colors; they added 28 new ones!)
http://www.fatquartershop.com/moda-f...ilting-fabrics
Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 PM

hear that squeaking sound? that's my cheap, echoing across the internets.

i don't want a $20 card to help me choose $15 worth of fabric for which i will pay exorbitant shipping twice.

sometimes i wish i was a wizard. hocus pocus myself some solutions to vexatious little problems.

aileen
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 PM

I had a similar problem - looking for a perfect red. I talked to the lady at "my" shop and she let me take a look at her book and she was willing to special order it since it was a color that she would be able to sell along with her own inventory. As long as you aren't asking for some bizarre color, I bet one of your shops would be willing to order it and let you buy a few yards.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 PM

I would think if the Local shop does not want to order the fabric... then she would not be offended if you took the number down and ordered it somewhere else. If you want to see the color card and then never consider purchasing the fabric from that shop... that would really tick off the owner. I have a relative that owns a yarn shop .. and it makes her crazy that people come in ..write down the info then leave and order it on line. She calls it "show casing" , all they use her for is a show case.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 PM

i shop local as often as i can. that's how i know none of the locals have the colour

i dropped her an email to ask, only because she's 1/2 an hour outside of my town. i didn't think matching the colour would be so difficult, given how trendy i thought the fat quarter packs are...

show casing would be just one of the gazillion things that might drive me oer the edge as a shop owner! i would drove me over the edge!

aileen
Old 02-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

my local shop when a specific color is needed they do not have in stock will come out with their color cards- help me find the right one- then order it for me...a good relationship with your local shop is a wonderful resource to have. if they want your business they generally will be very helpful -- it never hurts to ask.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 PM
LDB

If you have a JoAnn's Fabric near you, check in the cutting area where the sample books are located. I discovered the store near me has the color chart for Kona and will order any amount of any color you might need.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Fat Quarter Shop just sent out an email-they are having the Moda Bella solids on sale this month. They also have the wide solids on sale for $10 something.
Check them out, they have tons of colors

Jill
Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Hancock's of Paducah has the RK color chart but it is not cheap. They sell Kona Cotton at $5.98 a yard. The have 26 colors in their catalogue. They are very courteous and you can even send them a swatch of what your want to match. They just had 20% off sale and I loaded up on more black and white Kona cotton. You might want to sign up for their emails to be notified of their sales. Low $5.00 shipment (exceptions).