Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about loading fabric into the Accuquilt >

Question about loading fabric into the Accuquilt

Question about loading fabric into the Accuquilt

Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 PM

I just got my Accuquilt and am reading all the instructions, lol. It says to load the fabric in with the lengthwise grain (or something that confused me).

I know if I pull one way the fabric is stretchy, and one way it isn't. Do I want to lay the fabric on the Accuquilt die so that the stretchy part is parallel or perpendicular to the Accuquilt roller? (And I know to send it through at a slight angle, but I still need the basic orientation).

It was kinda like in one of my first quilting classes she was saying how the bias edge was on the triangle, sew the bias, and I said :?: :?: and she said "sew the hypotenuse" and I said :idea: and got it.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

The crossgrain (stretchy way) goes parallel to the roller.

If you think about it, you want the most stable grain going along the length of the die because the roller is going to exert pressure on the fabric, thus potentially stretching it.

I didn't figure this out myself, by the way. Recently watched a Youtube video that explained this!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Google Goddess

let us know how you like your accuquilt
Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Please let us know the pros and cons for this Accuquilt. I have been looking at them and want one so much. It does appear to result in some fairly large scraps after some cuts. I am concerned about the waste, if any. Would really know more about that.

I am so happy for you. Been trying so hard to justify the expense.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by annieshane
Please let us know the pros and cons for this Accuquilt. I have been looking at them and want one so much. It does appear to result in some fairly large scraps after some cuts. I am concerned about the waste, if any. Would really know more about that.

I am so happy for you. Been trying so hard to justify the expense.
Just love mine - wouldn't part with it. I particularly love the strip cut dies and I find I have very little waste. Just plan ahead for your cutting.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I just got my Accuquilt and am reading all the instructions, lol. It says to load the fabric in with the lengthwise grain (or something that confused me).

I know if I pull one way the fabric is stretchy, and one way it isn't. Do I want to lay the fabric on the Accuquilt die so that the stretchy part is parallel or perpendicular to the Accuquilt roller? (And I know to send it through at a slight angle, but I still need the basic orientation).

It was kinda like in one of my first quilting classes she was saying how the bias edge was on the triangle, sew the bias, and I said :?: :?: and she said "sew the hypotenuse" and I said :idea: and got it.

Welcome to the world of Accuquilt! did you get a Studio or GO!?? I love my Studio machine. Can't imagine cutting fabric any other way now! hardly ever use my rotary cutter. LOL

Rose Hall
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The crossgrain (stretchy way) goes parallel to the roller.

If you think about it, you want the most stable grain going along the length of the die because the roller is going to exert pressure on the fabric, thus potentially stretching it.

I didn't figure this out myself, by the way. Recently watched a Youtube video that explained this!
Will you post the YouTube site? I would like to watch it. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/accucu...guid=373379192
This is a yahoo group that has everything you wanted to know about using the Accuquilt.

I have the Go and I love it. I don't have a lot of waste because I don't cover the the whole die just 1/2" over the shape size. In the demos they show having a lot of fabric waste. To me that's a foolish way to sell something when fabric is so expensive.
There are lots of youtube videos for things you can do with the Go. Just type in Accuquilt in the search box at youtube.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Here's the video with the tip about loading the fabric:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA223fM3oYM

I don't have a lot of waste with the Go!. I cut my fabric only 1/2" wider than the die, so I end up mostly with1/4" strings.

It's not quite as fabulous as I had dreamed it would be. Despite what the ads say, I can cut only 4 layers of fabric at a time. Mine was quite stiff to turn at first, but it seems easier now (maybe I have gotten used to it?).

What really can't be beat is the *accuracy* of the cuts, IMO. It is also faster than rotary cutting.

I am working on a pinwheel pattern for the first time and cut the pieces out with my Go. I cut 5" widths of fabric with my rotary cutter and then ironed each background strip to a foreground strip, right sides together, before running the strips through the machine. The 4-1/2" triangle die cuts 4 triangles and I was able to double layer the paired strip, so with each pass I got 8 pairs of triangles ready for piecing. (My original plan was to spray starch the two fabrics right sides together, but my spray starch didn't hold them. Hmmm....... Maybe because the can has been sitting around for at least 8 years??? I guess it's time to buy a new can.)

Piecing was a breeze because all the points had been cut off the triangles and they paired together perfectly. I got a little distortion from sewing and pressing, but the points are pretty darned good if I say so myself. I think spray starching the strips together before cutting would have been even better.

One thing I have noticed this time is that a lot of my triangles have threads fraying along the cut edges. I think this is because they were cut on a very slight angle from straight-of-grain. I'm not sure if rotary cutting would have made any difference; I should try to rotary cut some triangles and see. Usually those threads are due to using lower quality fabric (lower thread count), but all the fabrics I cut this time were LQS quality. It maybe also just be the triangle shape; I don't normally cut triangles as I usually strip-piece first and then cut.

I have also cut 2-1/2" strips with the Go -- very fast and accurate. Cut quite a few tumbler with it. With that particular die I could only crank 2 layers of fabric through at a time, but that was also the first time I used the Go. I think it gets easier to crank with use.

The Yahoo! group someone else posted is a great place to find more information about the Go. Some people prefer to buy directly from Accucut or a local distributor for warranty purposes. However if, like me, the cost seems prohibitive, it's possible to buy the machine and dies at a substantial discount from various places. I bought my machine from http://www.quiltersrule.com for about $280, I think, when they were having a free shipping special. (With SR, just submit a really low bid to see what they come back with. You are not obligated to buy and can go back later and make a different low bid.) Some people have been able to find the machine and dies at 50% off retail. Accuquilt does not allow distributors to advertise discounts, so you generally have to call or submit a really low bid (say, to a "best offer" on eBay) to find out what the discounts actually are.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM

I have found that the liquid starch you dilute with water in a spray bottle works best. Don't know the exact ratio. I think it depends on what shapes you are cutting. More starch for bias edges, for example. If I'm cutting strips for a customer I don't need as much starch. I've also found the starch you dilute doesn't leave white flakes, plus its cheaper!!

Have fun with your GO!
Rose