Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: question about mattress pad for battiing

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that you can use mattress pads for batting, but as I was looking at one I have, it has a paper like woven material as the under side, isdit okay to use this in a quilt? Also, the side pieces make me think of dryer sheets, and I read that these can be used for something, but I dont remember what. Any advise on these would be helpful.

Blog Entries
    If it is paper like, I might use it for a wall hanging, but not a quilt or anything else that will be washed, I would be afraid of it not holding up.

I agree with amma. You wouldn't want your lovely quilt to not hold up to normal wear and tear.

Is it washable? That really is the test, otherwise that fibre stuff may not hold together too well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Is it washable? That really is the test, otherwise that fibre stuff may not hold together too well.
    It is the sides of the mattress pad, already been washed couple times, and no sign of damage to it. Can it be used as a stabilizer for applique?

I always use warm and natural. Results are always the same. I like that.

I probaly wouldnt use that one either. I have used an old mattress pad, but it was cloth on both side...worked great for a baby quilt I made!

I am the person who originated the post and I see no reason not to use it. It is all cotton and the same batting just that it thinner. It makes very nice summer quilts. I put a fabric backing on it and quilt it. They don't fall apart either and these are used and washed all the time at Hotels/Motels and they are made to last.

Blog Entries
    thanks Deb, I couldn"t remember who did the post . At the time, I didn"t even realize I had the pad here to use. I was thinking I could use it for a QAYG filler, would have fabric backing. So many newer store bought quilts now have backings like this, the cheaper ones, and they seem to hold up( even without extra backing fabric. This pad is in such good condition, only washed a time or two, seemed a shame to throw it out. I do appreciate everyones replies.

Am so glad you presented this question. Was wondering the same as I have saved some matress pads with this usage in mind. Mine are too thick for wall hangings. Will look forward to more responses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast