Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt?

Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt?

Has anyone ever used a mattress pad for the batting in a quilt? I was going thru my storage and found three mattress pads that aren't being used. I wondered if I cut off the edges of the pad that maybe it would work in the middle of a quilt. What do you experienced quilters think? I am on my 2nd quilt ever. Just thought this might be a way of recycling.

Blog Entries
    i used one for a charity quilt. the mattress pad had a polyester filling. i don't think i'd use one that has a cotton filling... it might be too heavy and hard to quilt through.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Banned
    Interesting! I don't know but I'd love to hear what the more experienced ladies think!

I have used mattress pads instead of batting, but I tied it, so don't have any actual "quilting" experience with that.

I've used them for place mats and wall hangings.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Yes, I have used mattress pads instead of batting in the charity quilts I make. I had not one problem with using them and it really saves me some $$$.

Does anyone remember sheet blankets? We had sheet blankets on our bed in the summer in NY. I would love to find them again as they would be perfect for the batting for a quilt staying in AZ. They are probably a thing of the past like so many other things we remember from long ago. Sigh!

yes they work up nicely I used them for my quilts in my car for emgency
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

oma66, aren't those sheet blankets simply heavy flannel sheets? I know we had them as kids but can't for the life of me remember what weight they were. I found one at a garage sale not so long ago and used it in a couple of kids quilts. It was pretty heavy duty flannel and I just used it on a couple of darker quilts.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Vermont Country Store sells sheet blankets, all sizes.
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

I have used old matress pads for potholder stuffing and quilted through it no problem.

I've also use them for smaller quilts and a wall hanging quilt. Worked great, since they have been washed before they won't make the quilt look really crinkly like cotton batting. Use them

I use them all the time when I can find them...the cotton ones make a really heavy quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
    Yes, I have used mattress pads instead of batting in the charity quilts I make. I had not one problem with using them and it really saves me some $$$.

Does anyone remember sheet blankets? We had sheet blankets on our bed in the summer in NY. I would love to find them again as they would be perfect for the batting for a quilt staying in AZ. They are probably a thing of the past like so many other things we remember from long ago. Sigh!
    Would flannel sheets work as well as sheet blankets?
    SittingPretty

I use them often and plenty. I've never purchased batting. Seems counter productive to my recycling ways. Never had any problems. I say use what you got and make it work!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.
    http://blockinaround.blogspot.com

I freq use mattress pad for batting..... never a problem and they work up nice...

I recycle everything I can!!

Yes, i have used for batting and worked fine.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Yes, I use them in my charity quilts and they work fine. I find them a bit heavier so I just don't put as much quilting on them to keep them soft.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

I remember sheet blankets - we always had one on the bed in the summer. My SIL uses a flannel flat sheet as her summer cover.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieN View Post
    Has anyone ever used a mattress pad for the batting in a quilt? I was going thru my storage and found three mattress pads that aren't being used. I wondered if I cut off the edges of the pad that maybe it would work in the middle of a quilt. What do you experienced quilters think? I am on my 2nd quilt ever. Just thought this might be a way of recycling.
    Yes, if it's in good shape

Yes, if it's a fabric that will hold up. (I've run across a couple that were some weird stuff that melted in dryer!)
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

i am a scrap quilter and find that old mattress pads work perfectly in my projects. they are already worn and used like most of my fabrics and they also tend to give better support to the old materials than new battings that pull apart and distort so easily. i can pick them up at yardsales and thrift stores for $1... can't beat that with a stick!

I googled sheet blankets, and lo and behold. you can buy them at BB & B. Sears, Kmart, Vermont country store, etc.

My mother (she is 91) tells me that my grandmother would sometimes cut up old wool coats to use as quilt batting!!! My grandmother's quilts, that she gave to me when I got married, are still going strong after 40 yrs and I sleep with one every night in the wintertime. I'm not sure what is inside but it's heavy...lol.

Old mattress pads are what I use for dog crate pads. I had someone at a yard sale give them to me when he found out what I wanted them for. They were the puffy quilted ones. Cut flannel for one side, cotton , one piece or pieced, for the other serge the edges and I have a crate pad. I have used the thinner ones for potholders etc.

Blog Entries

My mother has some sheet blankets she was going to get rid of (throw away). I told her no way...they could be used instead of batting. I like the sheet blankets way better than batting, anyway. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I prefer to use mattress pads plus a layer of batting. But of course I don't fancy quilt anything. I think my version is called a comforter. I sew the quilt in channels starting at the middle. I use the stitch in the ditch method so it does not show in the pattern. My family prefers the heavier quilt. Thanks to the new batting and the mattress pad I don't have to worry about anything shifting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast