Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt? >

Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt?

Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 AM

I googled sheet blankets, and lo and behold. you can buy them at BB & B. Sears, Kmart, Vermont country store, etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 AM

My mother (she is 91) tells me that my grandmother would sometimes cut up old wool coats to use as quilt batting!!! My grandmother's quilts, that she gave to me when I got married, are still going strong after 40 yrs and I sleep with one every night in the wintertime. I'm not sure what is inside but it's heavy...lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM

Old mattress pads are what I use for dog crate pads. I had someone at a yard sale give them to me when he found out what I wanted them for. They were the puffy quilted ones. Cut flannel for one side, cotton , one piece or pieced, for the other serge the edges and I have a crate pad. I have used the thinner ones for potholders etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
Yes, I have used mattress pads instead of batting in the charity quilts I make. I had not one problem with using them and it really saves me some $$$.

Does anyone remember sheet blankets? We had sheet blankets on our bed in the summer in NY. I would love to find them again as they would be perfect for the batting for a quilt staying in AZ. They are probably a thing of the past like so many other things we remember from long ago. Sigh!
My mother has some sheet blankets she was going to get rid of (throw away). I told her no way...they could be used instead of batting. I like the sheet blankets way better than batting, anyway. :-)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 AM

I prefer to use mattress pads plus a layer of batting. But of course I don't fancy quilt anything. I think my version is called a comforter. I sew the quilt in channels starting at the middle. I use the stitch in the ditch method so it does not show in the pattern. My family prefers the heavier quilt. Thanks to the new batting and the mattress pad I don't have to worry about anything shifting.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM

I too have used them in potholders, table runners, small quilts, etc. used them for lap quilts but never for a large quilt but may try that. I love to find them at yard sales, etc & get them for a song. Just wash & dry. I did buy a new one for a bed recently & it didn't seem to be made as well as the older ones
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

sounds like a good idea to me. I think it would work. Will have to give it a try, if just for a small throw.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
Yes, I have used mattress pads instead of batting in the charity quilts I make. I had not one problem with using them and it really saves me some $$$.
Does anyone remember sheet blankets? We had sheet blankets on our bed in the summer in NY.
I would love to find them again as they would be perfect for the batting for a quilt staying in AZ. They are probably a thing of the past like so many other things we remember from long ago. Sigh!
Char, I remember the sheet blankets that you are talking about. When I first started quilting, I looked for them in the stores, but was unable to find them. I do remember when Wally World sold them at one time. I have googled them and the only thing I see is over-priced flannel sheets. Flannel does work and is cheaper if you can catch it on sale. A friend of mine uses flannel as batting, but you have to remember to wash and dry it a couple of times to allow for shrinkage.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieN View Post
Has anyone ever used a mattress pad for the batting in a quilt? I was going thru my storage and found three mattress pads that aren't being used. I wondered if I cut off the edges of the pad that maybe it would work in the middle of a quilt. What do you experienced quilters think? I am on my 2nd quilt ever. Just thought this might be a way of recycling.
I have used a many of one for batting,They work great and very soft also.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Yes they work well, I have used old blankets for levi quilts, they work very well. Good Luck.