Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt? >

Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt?

Old Mattress pad for the middle of a Quilt?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieN View Post
Has anyone ever used a mattress pad for the batting in a quilt? I was going thru my storage and found three mattress pads that aren't being used. I wondered if I cut off the edges of the pad that maybe it would work in the middle of a quilt. What do you experienced quilters think? I am on my 2nd quilt ever. Just thought this might be a way of recycling.
My quilting grandmother never used anything else.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM

I have used them when I make a "Game Quilt"
2 pieces of flannel (flannel sheets from thrift store) with the pad between. Tied.
The kids luvum and take them everywhere.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM

I have used old mattress covers as batting frequently. They make a very warm, heavy quilt. Since the usable part is the size of the top of the mattress, the quilt will not be large enough to use on a bed. They make excellent throws or cuddle quilts for older children and adults or floor throws for babies. I have machine quilted them, but it's not necessary. I prefer to tie them. It only takes a few ties, as the mattress cover is already quilted.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM

i am so glad that you asked this question. i was wondering myself if they would work.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

One of the very first quilts I made was a cheater panel my sister gave me for my daughter who wanted a play quilt. You can say that not only was I a novice, I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. Sooo I took an old mattress pad, and used it with a layer of poly batting and another layer of mattress pad. I know, but amazingly my Kenmore loved heavy fabric, so although I just machine quilted SID around the squares in the panel, I managed to finish the quilt, bound it and gave it to my daughter who used it to play with her Barbie dolls outside on the lawn. At least I knew that the rocks, sticks, whatever wouldn't poke through the quilt. Yes it was quite heavy, but she loved it and it was a great play quilt. Would I do that again - NEVER, but I might use one layer of mattress pad without extra batting.LOL
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM

While on vacation in Texas, I just used one to make a bed ruffle for my granddaughters bed. Sure turn out great does not move , stays pretty much in place since it goes under mattress.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Aren't those the white blankets that are used in hospitals? I have bought mattress pads and used them for charity quilts...worked great for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM

I did it once, but you need to be careful that it is not the kind that the dryer can melt! believe it or not it can get too hot in the dryer. I wouldn't use it unless it was for a animal rescue quilt or some such type. Of, course if it is 100% cotton it would probably be ok quilting on a long arm.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
Yes, I have used mattress pads instead of batting in the charity quilts I make. I had not one problem with using them and it really saves me some $$$.

Does anyone remember sheet blankets? We had sheet blankets on our bed in the summer in NY. I would love to find them again as they would be perfect for the batting for a quilt staying in AZ. They are probably a thing of the past like so many other things we remember from long ago. Sigh!
I remember them-my grandma had them on her beds. I think they are just flannel blankets now. Probably not as heavy. But they did make great quilts.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM

I have a king size pad washed and ready to go but it is pretty heavy. I will have to use it in quilt for my hubby or sil. They are both always cold.