Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Metallic thread

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA

Question about Metallic thread

Can you use metallic thread in the bobbin. Never used it before and I bought Gutterman metallic and am very hesitant to put it in the bobbin, but I want to use it on both sides of the tablerunner since it is reversible.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2blackcats View Post
    Can you use metallic thread in the bobbin. Never used it before and I bought Gutterman metallic and am very hesitant to put it in the bobbin, but I want to use it on both sides of the tablerunner since it is reversible.
    I've not tried, but to me the big issue is using a metallic needle that won't get the thread too hot. That's what causes problems, so I'd say the bobbin should work fine.

If you are worried about lint-----------just clean the bobbin area carefully after use.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I'm not sure if it will work...metallic thread shreds so easily that you may have a big mess.
    I would try it out on a sample...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    IT WORKED! No problems at all. Don't know if it was the Gutterman thread, the machine or me, but I went slow and everything turned out great.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    I have trouble enough with it on the top let alone the bobbin. Good luck and let us know
    Sewflower

No problem. Think of all the different threads and almost even thin yarns we use in our bobbins to do bobbin work. I just went not really fast when sewing with metallic thread this way.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by 2blackcats View Post
    IT WORKED! No problems at all. Don't know if it was the Gutterman thread, the machine or me, but I went slow and everything turned out great.

Patience pays off! Good to know!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Glad it went ok. I was going to tell you I have used it in a bobbin with no trouble. Someone told me after that I wasn't supposed to, but it turned out fine!

As long as you sewed slow, that is probably why it worked for you.Sewing faster would cause more friction, and that probably would have caused breakages. Glad it worked for you!

I would think in the bobbin would be easier than the needle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast