Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metallic Thread

I am considering using metallic thread on my DIL's wedding memories quilt as I can't seem to find a suitably coloured thread for decorative stitching.

I have not used metallics before - does anyone have any useful tips before I start.

I think you need to use a special needle, as it dulls regular ones. It is hard on your machine, and would likely cut into the fabric. I believe I read all of that in a magazine, if I were you, I'd look online, maybe google it, and see what you can find. I'm afraid I don't know much about it. :)

I've used it on wallhangings that I hand quilted, and probably will never be washed. I used the bigger eye needle and shorter lengths of it than regular thread. I found that if I tried to use 18 inches or longer, till I was done quilting a stretch, the thread started to fray out for me.

Blog Entries
    Sulky rayon threads come in lovely bright colors too.

Blog Entries
    They make special metallic needles for these threads. Also make sure you use the proper spool holder on your machine, depending on what type of spool it comes on. There are the flat metallic threads and I bought some that are very similar to a thicker diameter regular thread. The rounder thread is much easier to sew with on the machine :wink:

This is good information.

I use yenmet metallic thread. It is poly coated and is smooth running thru your tension disks.

When using metallic thread, or clear monofiliment, I find putting a bead of Sewer's Aid on the spool very helpful. I think it's a silicone lubricant that helps them glide through the plates of the machine more easily.

Thanks for all your input girls.

My intention was to machine stitch with a decorative silver stitch. Hand stitching probably could be an option but I am running short of time.
    I did Google metallic thread and read about the Metafil (Schmetz)needle but when I went to my LQS today they did not have it or any other brand. They also didn't have any metallic except a very bright multi-coloured one (which was a round thread) - but not quite wedding stuff! They did have a Sulky thread in a paler suitable colour so I bought it just in case I don't get anywhere with the metallics.

The bridesmaids fabric (which I am using in parts of the quilt) is a lavender/blue which you would think would be easy to match with fabrics and thread but it turned out to be very difficult to match. It's one of those shades that changes depending on whether you put blue or lavender next to it. I just needed to add a few touches of something and I thought the silver would be a way out but perhaps I am just complicating things for myself by trying something new when I'm under pressure to get this done with limited time. Between family commitments and work I don't have a great deal of time to get this finished if I want to give it to DIL for Christmas.

I will need to look up Yenmet metallic thread and Sewer's Aid as I am not familiar with either of these.

Thanks everyone for giving me some information and the opportunity to think out loud. I will see what I can find by this weekend and make a firm decision then so I can get cracking on it.

I use Sulky brand threads on ALOT of my quilting projects! I have had luck using the Schmetz Ultra Sharp Needles on my machine find if I actually want it to show, rather than just "glimmer" when light hits it, I need to use a stitch that doubles back on itself like a stretch stitch.
    They wash beautifully and this thread is pretty sturdy, breaking-wise, also.
    One problem I do have is the thread is so thin it gets caught in the tensioner at times. I put a piece of painter's tape on the edge so it can't go all the way back into the tensioner. Sounds lame but it worked!

Be sure to use a "metallic needle". It has a larger eye that won't be as shredding on the thread. I agree that embroidery thread would be a nice alternative, especially if it's actually going to be a quilt, and not just a wall hanging. It would be much softer.

Blog Entries
    Sewers Aid is just a little plastic bottle of liquid you put on your spool of thread to keep things running smoothly. looks like the oil for your machine so don't get them mixed up.
    I used to use it a lot when i bought cheaper cotton threads.

Superior Threads metallics are excellent, and guaranteed to work. I use them alot, and I free motioned with no problem on my Will-o'-the-Wisp quilt.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27510-1.htm
    I always use a topstitch 90/14 as they recommend and have Bottom Line in the bobbin. It is better to sew on a slower speed with metallics too.

Sorry I meant to add that having the thread spool on its side (as opposed to upright) also helps. I put the spool on its side in a small plastic container behind my machine.

MOST embroidery needles ahve a large eye and are very sharp

Not all metallic threads work in every machine. Some shred easier than others. A metallic needle helps. I also find that sometimes I have to reduce the top thread tension to almost nothing to put less stress on the more fragile metallics. And then that doesn't always work. I love metallics and so have found ways around most problems. The last metallic I used, I could only get to work if I used the same metallic thread in the bobbin and left the tension alone. Good luck!
    Marian :-)

Thanks for the info everyone.

nativetexan - have looked up Sewers Aid and just need to have a look to see where I can get it here.

Katrine - love the look of the gold fmq on black - just stunning.

I am not working today so am visiting my mum (an hours drive away) and pass a quilt shop on the way. I will have a look for silver metallic thread/needle/Sewers Aid.

Decision time this weekend.

Have you considered the Sulky blendable threads? they have a gazillion different colors and I often find these work very well when I can't find a good thread match.

I have some metallic thread I want to use someday. Thanks for all the great advice on this thread.

Found the Metalfil needle and silver Mettler Metallic thread yesterday. Have spent most of today trying it out but couldn't stop skipped stitches. Tried everyones various tips re tension, thread in jar etc. and have now decided to go with the Sulky thread for this project so I can just get it finished.

I will play with the metallic thread when I have more time and patience because I would really like to be able to use it on something. I figure if I can persevere with monofiliament, then metallic is not going to get the best of me :!:

Have found some crystal beads I can use to add some sparkle. It is a wall hanging so beads will be O.K.

A special needle for metalics is needed otherwise it will break the thread. Sometimes I lengthen the stitch which seems to help it from breaking.

Hello, Deecee
    Nice to meet you, I am Sini, glad to know you.
    I am a favour about embroidery knitting, could
    you join me on your msn, my msn is [email protected],
    pls add me, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    They make special metallic needles for these threads. Also make sure you use the proper spool holder on your machine, depending on what type of spool it comes on. There are the flat metallic threads and I bought some that are very similar to a thicker diameter regular thread. The rounder thread is much easier to sew with on the machine :wink:
    Dear Amma, I am Sini, can you add me, my msn is [email protected], thank you very much.

Try Yenmet, it doesn't break because it is poly coated. It is rather expensice ($10 a spool) but I love it! Loosen your tension a bit with metallics and use a needle for metallics and slow down your speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast