Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Metallic thread

Has anyone used this to quilt? I found a beautiful varigated thread that had all the colors in the quilt I am making for my son. But when I tested it on a small 'sandwich" It kept breaking. What am I doing wrong? or is it not possible to use this thread?

You need to use a metallica needle. It has a bigger eye. Also if it is on an upright spool pin it helps. Your tension may have to be adjusted to a looser tension, experiment on sample fabric. Then use "Sewer's aid" to lubricate it, You should have no problem then if you go slow.

When I am using metalic thread I place the spool as far away from the machine as possible. They say it will tangle less the farther away it is. Does that make sense> I hope so. Also, you should use a metallic needle as they have a bigger eye in them and it keeps the thread from breaking.

A new needle might do it. I machine quilted this quilt with gold metalic thread. I guess I was lucky, I didn't have any problems.

Grandmothers Fan with scraps and metalic thread machine quilted
    Name:  Attachment-109897.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  80.5 KB

Blog Entries
    I think that you need a needle with a larger eye to keep from breaking the thread. Not positive, tho....
    Someone with more knowledge will come along soon and give you the answer.

Sue

I always use a metallic needle. BTW that fan quilt is awesome.

I use a metallic thread needle and use a net on the spool so it doesn't tangle.

I use a metafil needle and go a little slower than usual haven't had any problem so far. Hope this helps you.

Blog Entries
    you definitly have to slow down, along with having the right needle. if you try to go too fast the thread stretches and breaks. so correct needle, and slow speed should get you going with these.
    i hate using metalic threads! i never think the outcome is worth the frustration.
    good luck

Thanks for all the help. I have a Pfaff , so I will have to see if they make a metallic needle .

Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1
    Has anyone used this to quilt? I found a beautiful varigated thread that had all the colors in the quilt I am making for my son. But when I tested it on a small 'sandwich" It kept breaking. What am I doing wrong? or is it not possible to use this thread?
    hi,watched a tute on needles , i think the man's name was sullivan.he said that the only needle you really need is a top - stitch needle,&drop your top tension to2{little highr,lower}there was one more tip[old peoples memory],but i have bought the top-stitch needles& am going to give it a go!
    dar

can you hand quilt with it?