Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about one fabric in my Bargello >

Question about one fabric in my Bargello

Question about one fabric in my Bargello

Old 10-01-2016, 04:23 AM

When I looked at this before reading which fabric you meant I guessed it was one of the darkest fabrics, which looked fine to me but I could see might not to someone else. So the one you worried about didn't jump at all for me. All your fabrics look great. This is going to be a really beautiful quilt!
Old 10-01-2016, 04:52 AM

Flows good to me
Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
So, have you ever left a fabric in and just decided to decide it was okay?

Dina
I had a fabric in an early quilt that I knew intellectually was too dark, but I really loved it and decided to decide it was okay; this was after a long search and eliminating several other options. In retrospect, I do consider it a flaw in the quilt, because the design doesn't flow the way it would if the pieces were the correct value.

This fabric is shouting at you because it is bluer than the others. I've never done a bargello. Do you have a link to the finished quilt? That might help assess the effect of having this color in this position.

On the other hand, if you've decided that it's too late to go back, you should probably stop thinking about it.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Hi dina,
I think the one you are concerned about is going to make this quilt! It may be slightly off to the eye right now, but that fabric keeps the colors from being too static. I always try and put something unexpected into my quilts. It makes the viewer have something to have that conversation in the mind over. It makes it interesting, in other words. If you check out the masters, they do the same thing.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:50 AM

I agree with the others, it doesn't jump out at me. The thing to remember is it's your quilt. If you can live with it, keep on going. If you can't, it's worth the time to take it out and add a different one. It looks like the repair would be simple, just replace the squares and the strip. But your quilt is beautiful.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 AM

I don't see a shout out at all. I like what you have done. However, I must also add that I do like shout outs like 'sewnseams' has in her avatar. It just all depends on your goal. Just keep going and keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:30 AM

I think they all play very well together!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 AM

I think it looks great also. I like the piece you are talking about and it is a good choice all around. your quilt will be beautiful.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:49 AM

Thanks again, everyone. I will post a picture of the finished product so you can all see how it worked out. (That may not be soon though. )

Dina
Old 10-01-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I had a fabric in an early quilt that I knew intellectually was too dark, but I really loved it and decided to decide it was okay; this was after a long search and eliminating several other options. In retrospect, I do consider it a flaw in the quilt, because the design doesn't flow the way it would if the pieces were the correct value.

This fabric is shouting at you because it is bluer than the others. I've never done a bargello. Do you have a link to the finished quilt? That might help assess the effect of having this color in this position.

On the other hand, if you've decided that it's too late to go back, you should probably stop thinking about it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/380554237234044165/

Here is a link. It is the only quilt from this pattern that I have found, and it is the same picture that is on the pattern. (Mobius by Eileen Wright, in her second book More Twist and Turn Bargellos.)

I actually have quit worrying about it. I almost had, and then I read enough comments saying they didn't see a problem that I completely quit worrying.

Thanks for your input, suggesting that I quit worrying about it has made me notice that I have...

Dina