Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about pressing seams to the dark >

Question about pressing seams to the dark

Question about pressing seams to the dark

Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 AM

Default Question about pressing seams to the dark

I've seen sewist/quilters press to the dark and clip threads in the seam to have the seams form a tiny 4-patch at the intersection of four seams. I think it was Eleanor Burns who showed that before but I can't find it. I never seam : to clip the proper threads.

I am leaving the house for a few hours but will check later hoping someone can help me with this dilemma. Thanks for sharing. Gail
Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

the thread is the last seam you sewed. should be on top when you fold the four patch in order to clip the thread.
this link just shows how to sew the seam well http://quiltcetera.wordpress.com/201...-a-four-patch/
this shows the seam four patch done-http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/spin-those-four-patch-seams.html
better photos-http://www.american-quilting.com/blog/?p=698

Last edited by nativetexan; 12-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I do NOTclip that thread.

iinstead, I unsew it to the seam line and " keep" the thread - because I feel the seam is more likely to come undone if the thread is cut right at the seam line.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns has a lot of videos that show the thread clip. It is usually the intersection of the threads like where points meet. All most all of her videos has a tiny few seconds showing how to do it. She removes 2-3 stitches and then smooshes in a clock wise motion.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter has a great tip sheet with pictures for how to get the spinning seams to be the same way every time. It saved my sanity when I was sewing four patches.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...a-re-post.html
Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM

I clip the threads if I chain piece. This is the little loop that connects the two 2 patches. Then pick the last couple stitches so the seam is free to rotate. As for pressing to the dark, I think one set of seams goes to the dark and the other will press to the light.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks all! cjsews, thanks the tip of clipping the chain. I've done that and voila, the 4-patch. Except that the seams fall to the light patches. Flipping them over doesn't work. I've just come in, so I'll be going to the links from nativetexan and onebyone. bearisgray, That is a good idea about unsewing but keeping the thread. tessagin, you are so right about EB. She tends to do things quickly. I really appreciate all of your patience and advice. Now, to the videos.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Hey, me again. The American Quilting video says that the top of the four patch should be pressed toward the right. On mine, the dark is right, light left; bottom of four patch, opposite. I do get the little four patch at the seam intersection but they are to the light. Pressing to the dark doesn't work. I always knew that my visual perception was wonky but this is driving me batty. BTW. Bonnie Hunter's tutorial (which is great!) shows seams pressed to the light.

I'm making a D9P with light at 4 corners, dark at 4 cross squares and middle is medium. I'm chain piecing the blocks with the final three seams going horizontal. Would it work if I did the last seams vertically. Don't laugh.

I'm going to win this battle, yes I will. Thank you all so much!!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Ditto!!!!!
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I do NOTclip that thread.

iinstead, I unsew it to the seam line and " keep" the thread - because I feel the seam is more likely to come undone if the thread is cut right at the seam line.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 AM

I know that Eleanor has a video on YouTube called "Growing up Quilting a day" that shows exactly how she does that little seam release.