Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about quilt stitches

Im just now getting back in to quilting after over 20 years. I think i've forgotten everything I once thought I knew, if that makes any sense.
    Is it a rule of thumb that your quilting thread shouldnt show? After looking at some of the quilts on here, im ready to ripe all my quilting out and start over. Im not that far alng yet so its no biggie, but im just curious if the thread should not show on the top of your quilt. I swear, I feel like a beginner all over again. :?

No matter how you are quilting, by hand or machine the thread will show- that is the point. The question is do you want the thread to stand out or blend with the fabric?

I always want my thread on top to show. Sometimes it makes the quilt. If you have been gone from quilting for awhile, you may want to look at some of the sites for all of the different types of thread. I love King Tut from Superior Threads.

I honestly didnt know the difference. Mine looks like dotted designs and being I have black borders and using cream colored quilt thread, it shows.
    Being this is the first quilt in a hundred years for me, im just using the random buzy bee stitch. Im quilting by hand. So, I guess its ok then?

Im using coats quilting thread. I dont know one thread from the other right now. I think i can clasify myself as a complete beginner now.

Blog Entries
    welcome to the board. you will see the same advice repeated on the board... It's YOUR quilt, do what you want :)

LOL Good advice...... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SANDY COWAN
    I honestly didnt know the difference. Mine looks like dotted designs and being I have black borders and using cream colored quilt thread, it shows.
    Being this is the first quilt in a hundred years for me, im just using the random buzy bee stitch. Im quilting by hand. So, I guess its ok then?
    That's the look I try for: lines of dots making designs. So if you're wrong, I'm right there in the boat with you.

My dots are more like little short lines maybe 1/16" long each and spaced about the same distance apart.

Blog Entries
    HI and welcome to the board from Iowa. I like my stitching to show (or blend) depending on what my intended outcome is.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast