Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about quilt stitches

Welcome from another hand quilter. Keep going. I bet you're doing great.

welgome to the world of quilting from iowa

welcome back to quilting. To make the stitches kinda hide depends on the tread you decide to use. so many different colors and types of thread out there. just enjoy and have fun. Don't stress

Sounds like this will be really pretty! Be sure to show us a picture when it's completed. I've been quilting for less than 2 yrs now and I learn at least one new thing everyday from this board, quilt sites, quilt magazines or quilting friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDY COWAN
    My dots are more like little short lines maybe 1/16" long each and spaced about the same distance apart.

Theer are no Quilt Police (at least not officially) so if your happy it's okay. Welcome from Tyler.

Thanks for all the inspiration here! I just read a thread about stitching from the back. Very good idea on some quilts. I'll have to try that next time. Yep, I'm learning quite a bit already and have only been on the board a day.
    I love the idea of no quilting police. That drives me nuts. Just plain old good common sense works. Thatnks ya'll!

I am learning to fmq and prefer not to showcase my mistakes, so I use a top thread in a color that will blend in, changing colors where needed.

Welcome from Cajun Country Louisiana! I'm a new quilter too.....I also hand quilt, not brave enought yet to FMQ.....I was always told by my grandmother (bless her soul) that your thread had to blend....so that is what I do.....

Im just now getting back in to quilting after over 20 years. I think i've forgotten everything I once thought I knew, if that makes any sense.
    Is it a rule of thumb that your quilting thread shouldnt show? After looking at some of the quilts on here, im ready to ripe all my quilting out and start over. Im not that far alng yet so its no biggie, but im just curious if the thread should not show on the top of your quilt. I swear, I feel like a beginner all over again. :?
    The only thing I can think of you are talking about where the thread would not show so much is applique. Where you attached flowers,etc. But, for the actual QUILTING to sandwich the 3 layers together, YOU WANT IT TO SHOW!!!~ Some even use different colored threads to show it off, even heavier weight threads. So, HAVE FUN and just sew and do it! Don't over think it... you'll never get anything done. It's yours, do what ya like.

Hello and welcome to the QB!!! Yes, your thread
    will show on top and the back of your quilt.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58
    No matter how you are quilting, by hand or machine the thread will show- that is the point. The question is do you want the thread to stand out or blend with the fabric?
    I couldn't have said it better. Sometimes you want the quilting to show and other times, you want it to blend in with the fabrics. That is why invisible thread was invented. Please don't be so hard on yourself. There is no reason to berate yourself. Leave that to the quilters who compete in quilt shows!! Post a picture and maybe we can give you additional advice.
    Agreed... :-)

EXCELLENT! Thanks and thank you for the welcomes!

Hey it is your quilt and you are the designer. No quilt police are allowed.

Hey it is your quilt and you are the designer. No quilt police are allowed. Also A BIG WELCOME FROM EAST TENNESSEE

Howdy ! LOL

As a lifelong handquilter I want my stitches to show. Why go to all that trouble if no one can see it including yourself. I "never" quilt in the ditch. I don't see the point. The closest I come to that is echoing the piecing 1/4 inch on either side. I like to use the new varigated threads. They really look cool on a solid colored quilt. If you haven't quilted in years than your current work is really outstanding. I still can't brag about my piecing or applique but I can quilt the crap out of a wholecloth.

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors!! Very modern and traditional at the same time. Welcome to the board from California

Hi Speedy and Linda! Thanks for welcoming me and for the compliment Linda.
    Speedy, i agree about stitchin in the ditch. Whats the point other than atatching the layers. Good point!

Im just now getting back in to quilting after over 20 years. I think i've forgotten everything I once thought I knew, if that makes any sense.
    Is it a rule of thumb that your quilting thread shouldnt show? After looking at some of the quilts on here, im ready to ripe all my quilting out and start over. Im not that far alng yet so its no biggie, but im just curious if the thread should not show on the top of your quilt. I swear, I feel like a beginner all over again. :?

I never heard of that rule of thumb. Why wouldn't you want your quilting thread to show? If you entered your quilt at a show they would judge you on the quilting stitches. If you would applique a quilt then you would hide the stitches. I made a paper piece wall hanging for my daughter and I didn't want to see stitches on the front of it so I used transparent thread and sewed with the sewing machine.

I was just curious. Maybe a technique I got confused with. Its been years so there is no telling how many things im mixing up in techniques.

Welcome to the board from Missouri. Good question and great answers. That's what this board is about. Getting and giving help.and having fun. Enjoy it Mary

Sandy, I'm like you, hadn't quilted in 20 years then came back to it. I thought I knew it all......no way, I didn't know much at all, but in the last two years on this board, I have learned more than I'll ever do in my lifetime. But still want to learn more. Just stay with this board and you will be amazed. Someone on here can ALWAYS answer your questions. So just hang in there with us.

Thanks Mary! I am impressed with the knowledge. I think ill stick around! ;)

Hi Katie! I know what you mean. I onces owned a seamstress shop in Houston, Texas. Thats when I was doing a lot of quilting but it wasnt my mainstay. I was a designer of formal wear and created custom designed wedding dresses and formals. What a job! My fancy was quilting in my spare time but I was by no means a proffesional at it. I just really enjoyed it and made some really pretty quilts. I sold quite a few to mostly parents of the bridzillas which made it all worth while.
    I had a stroke in 2009 and my memory has slipped a bit on my past knowledge so in a way it is like starting from scratch but not totally.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! You guys are getting me all excited about quilting again!

I forgot to metion in my profile, my husband and I are musicians. He plays a killer base, I play guitar and keyboard and sing. We play classic rock, a little country, blues and folk music along with some originals. I'll be 60 y/o in March. My avitar photo was taken this past summer in Bryan/ College Station, Texas at one of our gigs. It was something like 110* out that evening. Ack!

Sandy we almost share a birthday. Mine is the 14th of march.I am a couple years older.I'm always the older one.lol I love the old rock n roll of the 50's and rock of the 60"s now I like country cause it is alot like the old rock n roll and rock.110* at night! wow I hate it when it gets over 80*. Mary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast