Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilting in general >

Question about quilting in general

Question about quilting in general

Old 11-10-2014, 03:22 PM

I agree with what joe'smom says here:

"I think of the quilting stage of quiltmaking as a practical, utilitarian step necessary to turn a top into something that can be used and enjoyed. This is not to say that it can't be beautiful, but in my mind, the quilting is in service to the goal of creating a quilt. Or in other words, I piece a top because I want to end up with a quilt, and the way to get there is to quilt it. I don't piece a top because I want something to practice the art of quilting on. "

I am a beginner at best on FMQ and I do this on my domestic machine. It is challenging no question. When I see quilts that are elaborately quilted my mind automatically says, WOW that's great, but the quilt goes into a category of "computerized" quilting. I love piecing so that's what I personally focus on when I look at a quilt unless the quilting is such that it becomes the focus instead...does that make sense? That said if I could afford it, I would send some of my tops out to be long arm quilted because they are large or I want them done so I can get on to the next one :-)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Well said, Joe'smom. My sentiments, exactly.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 PM

I do think that technology has changed the world of quilting--from the rotary cutter to long arm quilting, to our use of this QB, blogs, Pinterest, ability to get free patterns via the internet, etc. I love long arming but view the entire process as quilting. I see the piecing portion of quilt making as the chance to "play" with color to create something wonderful and unique, even if the block design is a traditional one. I view the quilting process as chance to "dress" and enhance the quilt top with texture.

One thing that I see changing the quilting aspect in the 2 year since I purchased my LA is the sales boom in the sit-down, mid-arm machines.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bibi View Post
Having read the extensive responses to the comment about quilting and quilt shows, made me think about quilting in general. Hence, I am starting to wonder has the quilting part of the quilting experience become more in vogue than the piecing part?
Of course that does not mean it is good or bad it just means different. I am wondering if the advances in technology have just naturally lent themselves to this new path? While no one has implied one aspect of the quilting process is better than the other, it does seem that the emphasis is on the quilting process. For example, at a recent quilt show, I counted many more long-arm quilting machine vendors than home sewing machine vendors. Also many more workshops and demonstrations dealt with quilting techniques, etc rather than piecing.
After all as a fairly new quilter, 3 years, the aspect I am struggling the most with is the quilting part. Hence, it does not seem surprising that quilting the quilt top appears more significant than piecing. Though, if I am honest I have been drawn, and still am, to quilting because of the piecing. But I understand as someone on this board previously noted, basic patchwork quilt designs have been around for ages and can only be changed so much, while machine and computerized quilting a quilt top are fairly new and still developing.
What is everyone else thinking about the shift of importance in the quilting experience? Again I am not making a value judgment. There is no need for this to be judgmental. There will always be room for anyone's personal preference. Anyone's choice will always be appreciated on its own merits, still some things become more in vogue than others. So is the same things happening in the quilting world?
Sorry this is so long.
I very much disagree. I think pattern choices, fabric choices, piecing choices are advancing every day. And the type of quilts. 50 years back, you'd never see "art" quilts as decorations. And "rag" quilts are more popular than ever, offering people like me more opportunities than ever before
Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 AM

This has been a great discussion....almost a pause in the road to look forward and back and see where we are. Each of us loves our quilting for our own reasons and it seems those reasons can change based on comments from quilters about initially loving piecing and how that love transferred itself to applique, etc.
Technology has been such a gift to this art form and it's only going to keep going, which means ultimately the price of longarms will start coming down, and that's a blessing in itself. But in spite of all the technological advances, there will always be some little girl or boy who takes a piece of fabric, cut's two shapes, threads a needle and sews those shapes together. It's a wonderful life!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM

I like the piecing part of quilting and not the sandwiching part. I think if I had the room/tables to spread out my quilt I wouldn't mind it but as it is I glue baste part - let it dry for a while - move it - glue it, etc. What I really love is chain piecing twosies & foursies and string foundation blocks. If I could afford it I would have a sit down quilting machine.