Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilting in general >

Question about quilting in general

Question about quilting in general

Old 11-09-2014, 12:05 PM

ManiacQuilter 2, you are definitely a quilter. You can't machine quilt without a top.. I feel everyone who works at making or finishing a quilt is a quilter, regardless of what or how we do it. Barny

Last edited by barny; 11-09-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:47 PM

What an interesting discussion. I think the advancement of technology for long arm quilting has opened a door for new art forms. I've seen some quilts that should be in the category of thread art. I'm still wondering if digitized quilting is art or science. I do know that the process of design and color selection give me a sense of satisfaction I would wish for everyone.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:58 PM

I used to get a little discouraged with all of the LA quilts. I haven't been able to do any part of quilting for awhile due to some health issues so I have had time to think about it a little. I found joy in all parts of making a quilt. There was always some frustration as I learned something new or made a mistake etc. but I always found the joy again. That is the point, the joy. I never sent my quilts to a LA. I always found a way to quilt or tie it myself and the recipients loved them. I now have a great appreciation for LA quilts and maybe someday I will will send a quilt out to have it done. For now I live vicariously through all of you wonderful members.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Being a new quilter, I enjoy most all parts of the process. Selecting fabrics and determining how I will use them in a quilt design lets me feel creative. I enjoy the piecing and can't wait to get a top put together. However, I do struggle with the quilting ... but I keep trying. I am basically doing straight line quilting (which isn't as simple as it sounds) but I so badly want to learn FMQ. I quilt primarily for local charities and I want my quilts to bring joy to those who receive them.

Sharon
Old 11-09-2014, 06:45 PM

They call me the "Queen of the Quilt Tops"...I love finding the pattern, choosing the fabrics and piecing the top. That's where I stop. I absolutely hate, hate, hate sandwiching, quilting and binding them! Can't afford to send them out and so they sit. Hence I AM the Queen! LOL
Old 11-09-2014, 07:25 PM

My *Favorite* part of the process is the design from drawing it out on graph paper to selecting the luscious fabrics. I've improved my piecing skills too and I love to see the design I had on paper come to life.

But doing just that was unsatisfying. Lots of beautiful designs but....so the last year and a half, I've been really focusing on actually quilting the tops. From overall quilting, FMQ individual blocks, to now I'm working on FMQ negative space.

And...guess what! I never in my wildest dreams thought that the quilting would become part of my DESIGN process! That has been a wonderful gift. Now when I draw my designs on graph paper, I'm also drawing the quilting. It's taken this hobby to a whole new level of art for me.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 PM

My favorite part is piecing because I think that is where the creativity is. I have never sent my quilts elsewhere to be done and never will even though I am much better at piecing than quilting and really all I have for it is a domestic home sewing machine. I would rather all of them were 100 percent made by me rather than perfect and someone else did the quilting. Sorry to offend anyone, but I think the only people that really notice quilting stitches are other quilters. Everyone sees the piecing.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
They call me the "Queen of the Quilt Tops"...I love finding the pattern, choosing the fabrics and piecing the top. That's where I stop. I absolutely hate, hate, hate sandwiching, quilting and binding them! Can't afford to send them out and so they sit. Hence I AM the Queen! LOL
You should pair up with someone just starting out in a long-arm business. Often they will quilt tops free of charge to gain enough experience to build their business.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 PM

I find the whole process of making a quilt exciting and pleasurable as I am creating something unique and the end result is always a surprise. No matter how much I try to visualise what my quilt will look like when completed, it's almost like an 'unveiling' when I sew that last stitch and lay my quilt out on the floor to look at. Each stage is exciting as it is one step closer to a completed quilt so I like to take my time to enjoy and absorb the stages without rushing and turning it into a process that I just want to 'get done with'.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 AM

I wonder how much influence these online forums have over trends and fashions worldwide?

These days we can all see and examine photos of quilts and designs which were created anything like 3000 miles away, while we drink our morning coffee. 15 - 20 years ago this was not possible.

We can observe new techniques, all made simple with tutorials. We can discover what new equipment is available, all with a click, and the despised adverts tell us where to buy them quickly.

So now we can all be inspired to do more in ways which we would not be if we were working alone.

Personally, up to now, by the time I've finished piecing I'm usually in a hurry to get the quilt together and done, so mainly do quick and easy quilting, especially if I'm on a birthday deadline. However the more I see beautiful bespoke designs online the more I'm tempted to have a go myself. So I am definitely influenced by what I see online.....

Cheers, Kate