Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about stabilizers...

Blog Entries
    I have some light weight washable Silk like shirt fabric (viscose)..they were fabric samples from a high end shop..

Want to make them into a quilt, not sure what kind of removable stabilizer to use.. Kim

You might check with your local quilt store owner... who may know more about this...since silk is not something quilter's often work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Baywatch quilter
    You might check with your local quilt store owner... who may know more about this...since silk is not something quilter's often work with.
    good idea.

Blog Entries
    ok, i can do that..Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I wonder if a fusible light weight interfacing would work?
    Is there a reason you want to remove it?

Blog Entries
    not really, just not knowing anything about them..i thought it would take away the softness of the material, for the quilt.
    i worked with it once, on a tshirt quilt, and i used the wrong fusable..it was hard to quilt..lol

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I have some light weight washable Silk like shirt fabric (viscose)..they were fabric samples from a high end shop..

Want to make them into a quilt, not sure what kind of removable stabilizer to use.. Kim
    Silks are very delicate fabrics - and do not hold up well for bed quilts that get a lot of use. If this is for a "PRETTY" that will not be heavily used, I would suggest using a permanent stabilizer, like PRESTO (which I use to back all of my machine embroidery) which is fusible, and still very soft.....it adds strength without removing the draping quality of the silk. It is not inexpensive - but if you can find a supplier on line ( I get mine by the bolt @ Wilson's Quilt shop in Hagerstown MD) you can save some $$.

i know lots of people who work with silks, with great success, i use a light weight (recommended interfacing for silk) woven interfacing...you leave it in, i would never try to remove a stablizer from silks...they keep the silk stable in the finished product. great drape and body is added and you can get fusable

Blog Entries
    what brand do you use ckcowl?