Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about thread >

Question about thread

Question about thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

What is the best type of thread to use when you are sewing your quilt pieces together? This is three of the different kinds of thread that I have in my supply. (Haven't done enough quilting yet to make a determination.) All purpose thread which is 63% polyester and 37% cotton, 100% spun polyester or the heaver quiltiing thread which I think is used for hand quilting.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM

All cotton thread for cotton fibers.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 PM

My personal choice would be ... none of the above :) The hand quilting thread really shouldn't (can't?) be used in a machine - just doesn't work (ask me how I know!). The others are just my personal choice of using 100% cotton thread on 100% cotton fabric top. I think some folks here use a cotton/poly blend - but I think it's heavier on the cotton than the poly.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM

I have used the all cotton but have also used the poly-cotton blends with no problems. In fact one day, I forgot to change thread and pieced a bunch of blocks before I realized that the thread I was using was the serger thread from Joann's that is normally $1.99, on sale for 99¢, and have had no problems. I washed the tops, quilted them, they are in great shape. I do like the Egyptian cotton from Connecting Threads. Yes it is a little linty but what thread doesn't have some.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I use serger thread. It is thinner.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM

FYI, there have been several postings here where quilters have used serger thread and their quilts have literally fallen apart over time. Serger thread is made to be used 3 to 5 layers thick to finish seams. Not for quilting.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 PM

I have used cotton, polyester, and mercenized cotton, honestly can't tell the difference, doesn't matter as long as you use high quality thread and not the cheap stuff
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 AM

I use the best I can afford and that is the cotton King Tut thread. Pricey but well worth the money as far as I am concerned. I spend a lot of money of money on QS quality fabrics (unless I find it on sale & frequently do) and Quilters Dream batting and do not want a so so thread. Thst is just MVHO.

Many people use all sorts of threads/fabrics with no problems and I see nothing wrong with that. We all have our preferences and that's what makes us all so wonderful and unique! We can/have learned so much from each others experiences.

Just remember NEVER use the glazed handquilting thread in your machine....it will be a disaster.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

i use what threads my machine likes...it hates some threads. the heavy quilting thread is for hand quilting-do not use it in your machine, it has a (waxy) coating that will gum up the works on the machine.
i buy most of my threads from Connecting Threads- i think it's called Aurafil- it's wonderful thread.
i know some people always say,.,.don't use anything but cotton thread...i hate using cotton thread-- to me it is garbage-it breaks every 2-4" which is very aggrivating in my world. i have wasted hundreds of dollars on threads other people said i should be using...i finally quit wasting my money and started buying thread that works for me.