Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about thread >

Question about thread

Question about thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 AM

I don't use anything but Gutermann. I stock up when it's on sale for 50% off at JoAnn's. It's a little expensive, but worth it when it doesn't give me any problems and seems to last for a long long time. I usually use an off white color for all my blocks, since it doesn't show anyway.
Sue
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 AM

I use Connecting Threads 100%cotton for piecing. I buy a neutral colour ( grey or natural on the big cones)and sew most things with that. It has been a great savings for me! For machine applique I use Guterman because it is available here and I can match my stitching to the fabric easily. Mettler is also nice for topstitching.

I have older quilts here that my mom sewed using cheaper thread and while they show no signs of disintegration, I feel happier using 100% cotton with 100% cotton fabric.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 AM

I love my serger, but that is the only place I use that thread. I also found it not to be as strong as regular sewing thread and would never use it to piece a quilt (or anything else for that matter!).
Originally Posted by Candace
FYI, there have been several postings here where quilters have used serger thread and their quilts have literally fallen apart over time. Serger thread is made to be used 3 to 5 layers thick to finish seams. Not for quilting.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i use what threads my machine likes...it hates some threads. the heavy quilting thread is for hand quilting-do not use it in your machine, it has a (waxy) coating that will gum up the works on the machine.
i buy most of my threads from Connecting Threads- i think it's called Aurafil- it's wonderful thread.
i know some people always say,.,.don't use anything but cotton thread...i hate using cotton thread-- to me it is garbage-it breaks every 2-4" which is very aggrivating in my world. i have wasted hundreds of dollars on threads other people said i should be using...i finally quit wasting my money and started buying thread that works for me.
Aurifil is not made by Connecting Threads. It's my ultimate favorite, all cotton thread.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 AM

For piecing, Aurifil 100% cotton mako 50 wt (which is NOT made by Connecting Threads) is fabulous. Very low lint, no breakage, makes a nice flat seam. A really smart quilter put me on to it, and it's really all it's cracked up to be. Solved so many problems I thought were either the machine, or me. It's also great for hand appliqué. Even the spot where the eye of the needle chafes the thread while you piece holds up. Aurifil 12, 28, or 40 wt for quilting. Masterpiece by Superior threads is also great for piecing and hand appliqué. King Tut by Superior for quilting. Polyester thread CAN melt when pressed on high heat. Hand quilting thread is glazed and will damage your machine. I haven't tried Connecting Thread house thread. They sell a "donut" of 36 colors of Masterpiece on bobbins. Nice selection for hand appliqué, and you can try it for piecing. Get just one spool of a neutral in Aurifil for piecing your next project and you may become a convert like me. I used to think I shouldn't spend on what isn't seen. Now I have a big drawer of "the good stuff" and I'm loving thread instead of just using it.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM

I too prefer all cotton thread for my piecing.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Kas

I use Master Piece by Superior Threads to do my piecing with. It is super fine and strong. My seams are nice and flat.