Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about threads for quilting. >

Question about threads for quilting.

Question about threads for quilting.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 AM

Question Question about threads for quilting.

Hi everyone,

I have a bunch of cones of serger thread (Maxi-Lock, 100% poly). Do you think that would be okay to use in the bobbin for quilting (not piecing)?

I also have a stash of Sulky embroidery thread -- 40 ct, 100% poly. Would that work as a top thread when quilting, maybe with a 90/14 Topstitch needle?

If yes but I couldn't match the colors well enough, would the Sulky 40 ct be too thick to use in the bobbin (if using it in the needle)?

I just hate to waste all these great colors I have in my stash, as I haven't embroidered or serged for about 5 years and am probably not getting back to either anytime soon.

All advice welcome.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:31 AM

I use Maxi Lock all the time, bobbin and needle. I love using it for piecing. Yes, you can use the Sulky thread in the needle for quilting but you want the bobbin thread to be a cotton or you Maxi Lock in the bobbin. The embroidery thread is slick so you need a bobbin thread that can "grab" it. I have used embroidery thread in the bobbin, but tension was the pits.
I also use Maxi Lock in my regular machine when making garments. It allows the seams to drape better. If it is an area that will get tension on it, i.e. crotch seams and sleeve seams, I just sew the seam twice.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I would not use the serger thread, but I have used the 40 wt in both the top and bobbin, no problem. THe 40 wt is a 'look'. It is a thicker thread, so the quilting will be more noticeable and you should avoid designs that backtrack if possible.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:01 AM

Thank you both!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 AM

I was always under the impression that serger thread is created differently.....sort of looser pieces of threads and only good for sergers...since there 2/3/4 threads the strength is in the quantity, not quality........but it seems there are those here who use it for piecing....who knows...in my mind, each thread is created for the job it was to be used for...no more, no less....MHO
Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Leah Day, of Free Motion Quilting fame, uses 40 wt polyester thread in the top and bobbin for FMQ. She also does a lot of back tracking or traveling over stitched lines.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM

I think perhaps I won't risk the serger thread....good point about the strength. Maybe I'll trial the 40 wt in top and bobbin as well as just in the top with Aurifil (sp) in the bobbin. Thank again, folks.