Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question I'm embarrassed to ask >

Question I'm embarrassed to ask

Question I'm embarrassed to ask

Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Baird View Post
Yep, I agree, the finished size of the half square triangle block...dray965 the only question to be embarrassed about is the one you don't ask...good question!
I agree, if we never ask or don't get to see it done we keep making the same mistakes that cause us to be frustrated with our craft. We've all started some place.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM

I really never thought about this question. I always told my students when I was teaching, "Don't ever be embarrassed about asking a question, because you will never know the answer unless you ask. There may be others who want to know the same thing but are too afraid or embarrassed to ask. Even if someone should laugh, that person probably doesn't know and are only laughing because they are pretending to know the answer, so we need to let them give the correct answer." This statement really helped my shy kids, and they soon discovered those who laughed usually didn't know the answer. There was less laughing and a lot more questions were ask after that.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
Unless they state otherwise, I just assume that it's a half square triangle and the size refers to the finished size of the square. You can usually look at the picture of the quilt to verify that it's a hst.

I've wondered this too. So if they end up with a 5" hst, they started out with two 5.5 squares? right?
In my day as an elementary teacher and equilateral triangle is the same measurement on all sides.
It still is the same measurement on all sides that's why it's called an equilateral not trying to be smarty pants here, but it hasn't changed-lateral means the sides, thus all sides are equal.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
It still is the same measurement on all sides that's why it's called an equilateral not trying to be smarty pants here, but it hasn't changed-lateral means the sides, thus all sides are equal.
An equilateral triangle (aka an equiangular triangle) has three equal (60º) angles and three equal sides. They are used to make Thousand Triangle/Thousand Pyramid quilts, among others, but not half square triangle blocks.

The triangles used in a half-square triangle block are right triangles, isosceles right triangles to be specific. They have one right angle (90º), two equal sides, and two equal (45º) angles. The third side of this type of triangle will never be the same length as the other two. Fourth grade math.