Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

Seeing how many mature women dress these days I often wonder what do they see when looking in their mirror?

I remember when hearing someone say to me " your slip is showing " was enough to make me want to hide. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    I hate to admit it - but some bodies don't look good in anything (and much worse in nothing!)- and it's really getting hard to find attractive tents!

After working for 38 years in an office, since I've retired, I'm admitting that I now dress in T-shirts and shorts (sweats in winter) 90% of the time. The T-shirts are usually mememtos of an event or a quilting store, etc. I love the feel of cotton and won't buy anything that I can't wash (no dry cleaning). And, I'm barefoot at home...guess I'm going back to my "roots"!

Power Poster
    I went through my summer shorts and pants this morning and it wasn't pretty! It seems that 15 lbs I have been trying to loose has invited a few friends over this winter. I am in no position to critique anyone else!

Tartan, my extra 15 lbs and friends keep me wearing all black or navy blue--not the best in summer. My question, Onebyone, isn't just about mature women but men also: when did it become acceptable to wear flannel pajama bottoms out in public????
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

As my dad always says, when people watching, the sights you see when you don't have a gun!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Living in a very warm climate most of the time is rather nice. Rather casual attire and just casual enough for work. I am not a fan of t-shirts but do wear them. I hate logos plastered all over the shirt. Most of my tops are a little more dressy if you will because I need to be more business casual. Sandals are seen with business casual but kind of dressy/beachy. No clogs but I do have a pair of close toed Skechers I keep depending on what kind of property I'm showing. Some properties, you definitely want a closed toe foot wear. Sometimes a fully enclosed shoe. I wear different length pants. What I hate to see is individuals often called "Walmarters" who have no regard for the appearance of their own person. For those of us who have very large extended abdomens, just make sure they are fully covered. Wear your pajama bottoms at home. Sorry just the thoughts of seeing someone who looks like they just crawled out of bed, grabbed the keys and went to the store is gross to me. Then you see those who really have no business wearing ill fitting spaghetti strapped tops on top of ill fitting bras whose cups over-flowed years ago and looks like a pathetic mountain slide into the ocean. I just try to make sure my clothes coordinate and cover my flaws like my large abdomen and I will pitch a top that doesn't cover my upper half. Often I wonder when I see some people and what they are or aren't wearing in violation of the law, like public lewdness. But I'm not the police. I would need a paddy wagon every time I went to Walmart, maybe 2.

Oh, my word!!! I often wondered too if they looked at themselves before going into public!!! Sooo many (old & young) are showing cleaveage!!! I'd be too embarrassed... I have large upper arms so I don't ever, ever wear anything sleeveless... Seems there is no shame anymore!!! Guess I'm just ole school!!!
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I am disable and in HOT Southern California, I am living in tank tops and shorts trying to stay cool. At this point in my life, I just don't care anymore. Comfort is more important.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

dd
    Wow! Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way. I often wonder if people own mirrors.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Yes, I get embarrassed when I look at some women's attire.

What I wanna know is....when did bra straps become an accessory item? I hate when bra straps show.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I try not to judge other people based on their looks - maybe it was a struggle just for them to get out of the house this morning.

I remember when I used to go to church with my family, there was an old lady who would show up in a robe and slippers. I remember my mom telling us, we shouldn't laugh at her, she was mentally ill and couldn't help it. Not sure how she explained that to under 10's but she got the point across.

Blog Entries
    Goodness, i have a habit of looking at myself in department store glass fronts to see if my slip is showing. well, I did when I wore skirts. Still, i care but can truthfully say not many do these days. Sad but true. too casual for me.
    Oh , those men's baggy pants they wear. They look like a big baby with a very dirty diaper on!! Or almost on! icky.

When I was little women wore girdles to corral their rolls. When we finally moved to Mississippi, my mom decided enough was enough. I don't think we should go back to girdles, but I do hate to see young women wearing strapless shirt with bra straps showing. Or spaghetti straps with bra straps showing. I'm 50 years old and when I was a teen, it was considered tacky.

Blog Entries
    I live in a condo with 886 houses. we see a lot at the pool. Woman with boobjobs so big and barely a piece of fabric covering. or a white suit that's see thru, horrors!!!!

and when did bra straps become a fashion statement. or wearing a hot pink bra under a yellow shirt. I try to hide my undergarments, I get a nude bra so no one sees it. whats's with the straps showing? or worse, G-strings poking out of shorts?!?

I'm 56, so not that old but what happened to common decency
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    It seems that people are now saying "I don't care about myself, it's all about comfort." At what point does comfort trump self-respect? Unless a slob is unusually unkempt, I don't pay much attention any more, but sometimes I'll see an outfit that's so outrageous it makes me wonder how the wearer stood in front of the mirror and said, "Hey, lookin' good!"
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I do believe there is a way to be comfortable and look okay. There are nice looking pull on pants and tops that don't look "shlumpy" if you get my drift. I don't wear anything that is tight on me, and I like to think I look "pulled together". Not talking expensive. I am Petite and Walmart doesn't usually have my size but there is some nice stuff even there. I shop sale racks almost exclusively. Granted, I am not disabled and have transportation but everyone on this board has internet and there are many options available. My best girlfriend is "fluffy" I like to say, but really she is obese. She shops on line and looks good and is comfortable. It can be done. I think it is about personal pride if that is the right expression.
    Alyce

I would have to say this about a LOT of women, girls, men and boys. I see a lot of these, even in our small town, and it never ceases to amaze me in what they walk out of the house wearing. I don't dress particularly well, but at least my bare butt isn't showing, even when bending/kneeling, my boobs are in danger of falling out of my shirt, and my belly is covered.

When I am at home, or at the cabin, I wear t-shirts, pajama shorts, and pajama pants, and walk around in Speedo slides. However...I NEVER go out in public dressed like that. I always wear a dressy type top...short or long sleeved, not sleeveless! (hate my upper arms!!) I wear jeans, or dressy athletic pants...no shorts. I'm 64 and just like to dress "appropriately"! I wonder if some of these people look in the mirror and think "Boy...I look great!!"

Blog Entries
    Great question. What ever happened to pride in apperance? I may dress down at home but always sress up to go out of the house.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

My favorite mantra when I see interesting ensembles is..." I would not wear THAT to the mailbox!".
    Pet eyesores: Tight stretchy short shorts, tight tops with the rolls of flesh highlighted, etc. Pajama pants, low hanging jeans with the crotch at the knees....when will this trend go away?

One could dress comfy casual without going total slob. I dress up when I want to do some serious clothing shopping. I want the sales staff to wait on me...and they do! If I am more casually dressed, the staff greets me and then ignores me. So....first impressions matter. I dress according to my motive.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    As time for the 127 yard sale rolls around, I keep thinking about a couple of years ago when walking through a large group of sellers, there were a couple of relatively young women (extremely pregnant), walking around with their bumps totally exposed. Their pants were pulled up just below it and they were wearing crop tops. I felt overdressed in slacks and a T-shirt.

Apparently the answer to your question is that -- too few get embarrassed, or too many have such low self-esteem.
    Last edited by Aurora; 07-07-2015 at 03:05 AM.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

My favorites are the extremely overweight ladies that wear white leotards. Really??!!
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Well heaven knows I'm not trying to be the "fashion police", as I'm horizontally challenged and have spread a little too much myself, but does anyone else find it curious that most of the bad example of dressing that has been mentioned is mostly seen at WalMart? No offense meant, just wondering?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast