Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on LA's >

Question on LA's

Question on LA's

Old 06-22-2015, 06:30 AM

Default Question on LA's

I am in a quandary on what to do. I have a Sweet Sixteen sit down quilting machine and an upgrade kit to make it a standup is $4700 from the Handiquilter Co and my DH would assemble it . A friend in my quilting group is selling a Nolting Funquilter on 10' frame for $6700. Which one would you pick? My DDIL is going in half with me and she prefers the Funquilter as she has quilted on it already but that means I would have to sell mine(hassel) I'm yo-yoing on which to go with! Any advise, info or input would be appreciated! So excited to have a smoother quilting pattern!
Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

So many things to consider. Do you have room for a frame longer than 10'? Do you want to quilt larger quilts? Are you planning to quilt as a business? If so I would not get the 10' frame, because there will be times when it will be too small.

What is the throat size of the Fun Quilter? It comes in many different sizes, and with different options. Are you sure it's a good buy? Do you enjoy using your sit-down machine as a sit-down? Do you know much about the frame that you would get with the Sweet Sixteen? (A frame and machine don't necessarily get along unless they were built to be used together.)

Nolting and Handiquilter both have good reputations, but they are not the only longarms available. Have you looked at other options too?

Sorry - no help - just things to think about.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Thanks for that info Dunster, I bought the SS but had no previous experience with FMQ(dumb) on my DSM- It is so jerky compared to the Funquilter being so smooth moving it around. I do have room for a larger frame but probably won't be doing anything bigger than a queen size! I believe the Funquilter is a 17' throat and hasn't been used much! no business for me, just for family &friends. Still undecided on what to do! My SS is SO troube free & it would cost much less to upgrade it .Help!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
My SS is SO troube free & it would cost much less to upgrade it .Help!
My boss has a great saying.... "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know". Your SS is trouble free and it costs a LOT less to upgrade. I think you have your answer. $2K will buy a lot of batting, fabric and thread. You have a proven machine I am thinking the upgrade from HQ would be the frame and the encoders for stitch regulator?? Stick with your proven HQ, and don't put yourself through the hassle of having to sell it. You daughter will enjoy quilting on the SS16 on a frame just as much as she liked the Nolting I bet.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:38 PM

I don't know about the Nolting, but HQ has great customer service! I upgraded my HQ16 and am glad I did.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

A Sweet Sixteen is usually easy to sell if you advertise it at a local quilt guild. Lots of people are looking to buy a Sweet Sixteen used. I would think you could get a lot more than $2,000 for it.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:09 PM

I concur, but i am not you...
Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Just my opinion but I prefer a stand up to a sit down any day. I have a HQ Avante on a 10 foot frame and am very happy with it. It actually came with a 12' frame but we had to downsize it due to space restrictions. I find it plenty big enough. I know I will never make anything more than 96" and use my longarm for personal use only, no business.
I agree that it's easier to move the machine than it is to move the fabric.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 PM

I think if you call your HQ dealer and trade in your SS to get an Avante you might be pleasantly surprised by the price you get. You'll get a bit more space and you'll have a dealer to set you up and train you.

Just a thought to further confuse you!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 PM

I have a Fun Quilter on a 10 foot frame and it is a very good setup and the Nolting folks are fantastic with their customer service. DH has called a number of times and always worked out the problem over the phone. Also DH is very mechanical and can either fix anything or figure it out.