Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for longarmers on double batting >

Question for longarmers on double batting

Question for longarmers on double batting

Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Default Question for longarmers on double batting

I need more dimension on my quilts so double batting will be the answer.

Since I've only done double batting on small pieces, how to you use double batting on a king/queen size quilt and keep it from getting bunched up.

Before I go and try this and end up pulling my hair out (and messing up the quilt) I thought I'd come here to ask the question.

Thank you for you help.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I've only done double batting once, on a queen. I have always floated the batting and the top and really had no problems once the tension was adjusted. If the batting is floated, you just keep smoothing it into place as the quilt is advanced. I used a layer of wool over a layer of warm & natural.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the Info Paper Princess. I do float my batting, but have never liked the fact of my top flopping around on the floor at my feet, especially when I'm just starting out. How do you deal with that? It was bad enough with the batting getting in the way.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 AM

For L/A.....Here's a tip I use for keeping batting off the floor......my table is 14' so I needed to join two PVC pipes that length, two gym shoes length shoelaces...that's what I had on hand, but anything will do...,sticky back Velcro....just about 12", cut into rectangles........loop the ties over outside pole, one at either end, knot. With everything in place....batting laying on floor. I first lay that long pole on top between my two take up poles and catch the edge of hanging batting with those strips of sticky Velcro,, roll up and then lower and slide that pipe between those looped ties and it hangs there unrolling as u need it,off the floor out of the way......when not in use I simply remove pipe from ties, lay on floor under machine and ties just decorate the edges of my poles......for over 10 yrs! I guess you could do top and batting...but I never float my tops. I hope this makes sense

Last edited by Geri B; 05-17-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:26 AM

I have an older Nolting with a frame made about 1997. I am fortunate that the bottom brace on the frame is towards the back where the panto is put. The last pipe on the front is about 40 inches from the floor. I use this wonderful space in the front under the pipe for storage. I have several of the shorter 2 & 3 drawer plastic storage units on rollers from Wally World. They hold my quilting thread and extra bobbins and other stuff that is only for the Nolting.

When I start quilting, I pin my backing on to the leaders. Then I pin my batting to the backing and float it. I do cut off the length I need. I don't leave it on the roll. Then I pin the leading edge of my pieced top to the batting and float the top. I do pin down the sides, on the area that is being quilted, after I make sure the pieced top and batting are smooth and straight with no wrinkles. The pinning down the sides just keeps the top stable while I do the quilting for that section. After I quit that section and before I roll the quilt I take all those pins out in the sides only.

I use those wonderful storage units to keep my batting and quilt top from being underfoot as I walk back & forth, threading the needle, snipping threads, rolling the quilt, etc. After I pin the sides for the next section to be quilted, I basically just kind of fold the pieced top and batting over on top of the units. I worried at first that the top would get wrinkled, but it really doesn't. Now, having said that, my quilting is at a very beginner level. Heck, I can't even follow a panto very well. lol

edited to add: I have never quilted with double batting, but I don't know why you wouldn't follow the same steps. I can take a picture of what my setup looks like without a quilt on it if it would help you.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-17-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I also have storage tubs under my frame. I don't use the batting roller for batting. After loading the backing, I pin the batting, then top to the leader. I have already rough cut the batting to size. I loosely coil the batting, thread it behind the batting roller & lay it on the storage tubs, then do the same with the top. The batting roller keeps the batting & top away from the front of the frame, but doesn't add any tension & the storage tubs keep them off the floor.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Thank you PaperPricess, Geri and Barb for your helpful hints. I have been using storage boxes as well to keep the batting out of my way, but it doesn't always stay where it belongs. I think I may need a few more boxes when I'm working on a really big quilt. My storage boxes usually holds batting pieces and fabric. Hmmm... I could just go buy more boxes and fabric.... That sounds like a good plan. LOL

I'll just have to figure out trying to keep the 2 layers of batting smoothed out. Instead of fretting about this, maybe I should try and do a smaller project 1st. I have a huge quilt to do and it's been stressing me out.

Thank you all, for your help. It is very much appreciated. You have relieved some of the pressure that I have placed on myself needlessly. See... I knew I could come here and get my problems solved.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM

I love to double layer my batting! Just as suggested you smooth things out as you advance the quilt - I have never had an issue with bunching though I would go so far as to say something less grippy like a poly will have less chance of clinging than say, cotton and 80/20. That being said my favorite things to layer are wool over Hobbs 80/20.

I always float my tops and batting - I create a sort of "sling" out of the excess batting and a sheet. I tuck just a bit of the sheet under the batt and scoop it up off the floor...the far ends of the sheet I bunch just lightly under the front roller bar...it creates kind of a sling or a casting and the batting and top just sits in there until I advance it far enough that it's off the floor. It also keeps the top of the quilt that I'm not working on clean of kitty hair or stray strings that may or may not have found their way to the front of my shirt!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I have three TV trays under my LA and lay my Batting on them with the floating top and it all rolls up together and I just smooth it out and it works great for me. I like to make due with what I have around and the TV trays are muti purpose tools in my room.
peace