Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question on Machine Applique

I am doing a machine applique quilt. I have fused down the figures on the background of the quilt. There are many very small pieces that have to be appliqued to the background. When I try to machine stitch the small pieces, the needle chews up the fabric. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I am doing wrong? I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks

What stitch are you using for the applique?

Blog Entries
    Also, what brand of fusible are you using?

What kind of applique? Satin stitch, blanket stitch or raw edge? Do you have stabilizer under the pieces? You may need to change to a different needle.

Not my area of expertise although I have made several.

Blog Entries
    It could be your stitch (which one are you using?)/your tension needs adjusting, your needle is dull or you need a stabilizer on the back. That's all I've got.
    Of course, there's always the sewing machine gremilins!
    If you do find the solution, you can go back and trim the frayed edges and use fray check to keep them from fraying again.
    Good luck! :thumbup:

Put some stabilizer onto the back of the fabric that you are appliqueing onto. It doesn't have to be a stick on piece, just one that is tear away and firm enough to keep your work from being eaten by the machine!! Good luck

I do raw edge applique with invisible thread. I use a 60/8 needle. It cuts way down on the fraying of the applique piece.

I used Steam a Seam fusible and a blanket stitch. I will try it again with stabilizer and a new 60/8 needle. My needle could have been dull. I am so forgetful in putting in a new needle. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of machine applique and always use tissue paper under it and that helps prevent this and it is easy to tear off.

Quote Originally Posted by Qarena
    I am doing a machine applique quilt. I have fused down the figures on the background of the quilt. There are many very small pieces that have to be appliqued to the background. When I try to machine stitch the small pieces, the needle chews up the fabric. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I am doing wrong? I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks
    Could you place a piece of wash away stablilzer over the area you're working on to avoid direct contact with the pieces?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast