Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question???Minky as a backing? >

Question???Minky as a backing?

Question???Minky as a backing?

Old 11-20-2015, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Thank you all for answering. I'm going to give it a try. I forgot to ask about batting. Should I use regular battering, no batting or something else? Thanks again.

yes....to all!
sandy
Old 11-20-2015, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I have avoid Minkee on the back of a quilt because it is so stretchy and I quilt on my Bernina.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:25 AM

Does not shrink. But stretch and slippery, very hard to work with I thought. The one time I used it I just used the Minky and the top, no batting.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:38 AM

I used it on one quilt. It is soft and cozy. Someone should have told me not to use w&n for the batting. It was so heavy!!! If I use it again I might skip batting or use something really thin. I did SID for my quilting because of the weight. It was hard to maneuver in my diamond. I learn everything the hard way!!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:39 AM

I have used Minkee to back 2 quilts, both with great success. Because of the stretch, I used washable glue to baste (spray works too) as it keeps the backing from moving at all during the quilting process. I used just straight line quilting, so I can't say about fmq.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 AM

I've used it MANY times. Never any problems. I've washed the whole thing when it is finished. No prewashing. I usually pin the layers with safety pins and remove them as I quilt. As for batting...mostly none, but once I did use a flannel sheet and didn't think it added anything to the quilt...just made it heavier.
For baby quilts or blankets I just didn't want them to get too heavy. I think you'll love it. It's great for chemo quilts, too.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 AM

I quilt on a longarm, but minkee is a great backing - don't pull on it as it does stretch and that could cause problems. I used batting on every quilt I have made with minkee and I have quilted really intensely and relatively loosely and they are both soft and supple.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 PM

I have used minkee on the last few quilts for my grandkids. They love the feel of it. I use regular quilting cotton for piecing the tops and Quilters Dream batting. Pin baste and quilt on my domestic sewing machine. Knock on wood, they have turned out very nice, without problems of stretching, etc. I wash the quilts before giving to the kids to make sure they wash ok. The one difference I can feel when quilting is maybe a little more drag, but nothing that I can't manage. They love them!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:09 AM

I, too, am considering Minkee for a backing. I have used flannel for the batting and also have used Warm and Natural for batting. If I'm making a quilt for use in Wisconsin, it get's a "heavier" batting versus a quilt that is going to be used in Florida. It also depends upon how much I want the quilt to "drape". Usually use lighter weight batting for baby quilts and heavier weight for bed quilts.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 PM

I often use Minkee to back baby quilts. I do not use any batting and use the "birthing" method of attaching the top to the back. Then I tie the quilt. Very quick and easy!

On the other hand, I just took a "grown up" quilt to my long arm quilter along with minkee for backing. He insisted on using a batting (Hobbs 80/20) to control the stretching. Because the resulting quilt will be quite heavy, I'm glad the ultimate recipient is a DD who is always cold.