Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question From New Quilter

I am just wonderingif I were to do a king sized quilt and sent it to someone to be longarm quilted, what do I need to send with it? Is each one different? May I buy a king sized sheet for the backing and would I need to send batting?
    Thanks
    Faye

Blog Entries
    It depends on which longarm quilter you choose.

Each long armer has their own routine. I send my batting along but then I use a specific batting which is actually my long armer's favorite. She doesnt like to work with certain battings. As far as the sheet, I would just ask. Is it bigger than 100 by 100? There are some really good prices on backings online.

Ok thanks. Yes it would be bigger in order to drape the mattress right. We have a soma waterbed and it has a deep mattress..

Talk to the longarmer - if you're mailing the quilt top and backing, you may want to just buy your batting from the longarmer rather than deal with shipping costs. If you do decide to send it, make sure she can work with the type of batting you have. Some battings that work well for hand quilting, for instance, just aren't good on a longarm. Also make sure she's okay with using a sheet for a backing. Some longarmers don't like to use them due to tension issues; others say they're fine if they've been washed three or four times.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the answers..I must find a longarm quilter I see..