Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question only a guy would ask >

Question only a guy would ask

Question only a guy would ask

Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM

From one guy to another, you'll save a lot of money by using Staflo starch diluted 50%. In addition to starching, I sandwich using Elmer's school glue so I always wash when finished with the quilt.
Bob
Old 01-19-2015, 06:45 PM

Welcome, Tom, from North Texas, 60 miles north of Dallas, 30 miles south of Durant, Oklahoma. I think you should wash every quilt after you get the binding and the label on it. Be sure to use a color catcher. Laundering a quilt gives it a crinkly look that I really love, gets all the stray body oil out of it as well as all the dirt that you may pick up while you are working on it. Have fun quilting. froggyintexas
Old 01-20-2015, 04:43 AM

Welcome to the world of quilting! You will find this forum a great help. Just a couple comments...

If Elmer's school glue (or similar brands) is used, it needs to be the WASHABLE kind.

Some wall hangings look nice if not washed afterwards. Use starch substitutes like Best Press, instead.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 AM

I starch a lot, its the only way I can get the fabric to behave. I also wash every quilt because I get great pleasure seeing the quilt puff up after it's washed.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:16 AM

Welcome to the board and to quilting!! Enjoy your quilting journey! I love starch for keeping fabric from stretching and keeping the triangles shapes better... but yes it needs to be washed out especially if you live down south.
Happy quilting...
quiltinmama
Old 01-20-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
Welcome to the world of quilting! You will find this forum a great help. Just a couple comments...

If Elmer's school glue (or similar brands) is used, it needs to be the WASHABLE kind.

Some wall hangings look nice if not washed afterwards. Use starch substitutes like Best Press, instead.
Ok this is a new one to me using glue ? Where do you use it and to do what . Do you use it for seams and stuff before you sew them . Told you i,m new lol . But having fun doing it
Thanks
Tom
Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 AM

I use glue when I am doing applique... not for the seams ....
thanks
quiltinmama
Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 AM

Instead of starch try fabric sizing. It comes in a spray container just like the starch and works about the same. It does not attract silverfish. I would probably wash anyway when it's done. Personally, I don't like starch and lilke to sew with the soft fabrics better because it gives just a bit of ease for fitting the pieces together if needed.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by piker6ca View Post
Thanks for the help everyone.
This is only my 2nd quilt and i,m learning so much .
So much easier now that i went out and got a cutting board and wheel cutter and learned about starch.
I,m sure I will ask for help latter on as I,m starting to think how i,m going to quilt it when it,s done.
As i,m not any good a hand sewing .
Thanks again
Tom
Welcome! You may want to consider tying your quilt. Tied quilts are so soft and comfortable.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:24 AM

The glue is primarily used to baste the layers together for quilting instead of pinning or basting with thread. Makes that process so much less time consuming. But as someone mentioned, be sure it is a washable glue.