Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question only a guy would ask >

Question only a guy would ask

Question only a guy would ask

Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 AM

Default Question only a guy would ask

Hi every one
I have a question about starch.
I have discovered starching all my pieces for my quilt and working great.
And i,m wondering does the starch just wear off in time or do I have to wash the quilt after i,m done with it.
As you can tell I have done a lot of laundry lol .
The starch i,m using is just a spray on .
Just don,t want my quilt to be like a board when it,s done.

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 AM

Tom--welcome to the board..there's a wealth of knowledge here. I will start with my 2-cents worth in answer to your question. Your starched quilt will behave just as your starched shirts do...after wearing all day, they become limp. The handling and quilting should soften your quilt up. However, I would not store it for any length of time before laundering because silverfish (especially) like the taste and you could end up with nibble holes. So washing immediately is your own preferred choice. We will all want to see pix of your finished product.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 AM

yep, that's what I was going to say!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 AM

There is a difference in starches. One the bugs like, the other they don't. I use Sta flo and mix with water. I use starch all the time now. The material behaves itself nicely. Someone can give you a better answer I'm sure.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 AM

I agree with what Mermaid said. That's what I do. I have heard that Best Press doesn't attract the silverfish, but I still wash.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 AM

I wash all my newly finished quilts to remove starch and basting spray. Also by the time a quilt is finished, I always seem to have a few areas that have picked up some light soiling from all the handling and passes through my machine, so want to wash it.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the help everyone.
This is only my 2nd quilt and i,m learning so much .
So much easier now that i went out and got a cutting board and wheel cutter and learned about starch.
I,m sure I will ask for help latter on as I,m starting to think how i,m going to quilt it when it,s done.
As i,m not any good a hand sewing .
Thanks again
Tom
Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 AM

As others have mentioned, it will get flimsy with use. What you might want to think about is the area you live in or where the quilt will be. Bugs love starch and when you go to store it whether in a closet or a container, might the bugs find it and make a buffet out of it? I know in Florida or any humid area, bugs are there no matter how clean you might think your home is. They're sneaky and will find it. I use starch as well as Elmer's Glue on my quilts during assembling so I wash mine once its finished. Plus I want to make sure it doesn't bleed before giving it to someone. Rather have it happen to me instead of someone else and they freak out thinking they've ruined it.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Depending on the size you may need to take it to a commercial Laundromat to wash. I would definitely wash the starch out. If you take it to a Laundromat, do not leave it alone. Stay until it's finished. Easy pickings for thieves. Don't rely on the mgr to watch it either. If it just has a little, you may be able to gently agitate in your bathtub then let drip dry.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Me, too. Besides attracting bugs, the starch can flake off and irritate those with allergies. Over time, glue can discolor the fabrics. At least that is what I've read. I can't confirm that because I wash my quilts when they are complete.