Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on washing fabric?? >

question on washing fabric??

question on washing fabric??

Old 04-04-2016, 06:40 AM

Default question on washing fabric??

How do you wash large pieces of fabric 10 yards and over.. Do you cut it into smaller pieces?

I went to Hancock fabric on Sunday as they had a big sale on everything as all Hancock fabric stores are closing, they had fabric for 60 % off..I bought a lot of Red White and blue fabric for quilts of Valor, I was so excited to find some beautiful patriotic fabric. Now I have to wash it all and some are 8 to 10 yards.. so I need your help.. Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

If you are going to use them as backing, I would decide what length do you usually use and cut into that length. I could not imagine trying to iron 8 yards of fabric!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I am a pre washer. Think about the largest item you usually wash in your washer. That probably would be a sheet, so you can cut it into 2 or 3 yard chunks and launder. If I buy a piece 3 yards or less, I wash it right away. If I get a piece 4 yards or more, however, I just fold it as is (I try and get a board from the shop) and as I need a piece for a project I just cut and wash it then.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

When I buy a very large piece of fabric I usually don't wash it until I'm ready to use it, and then I know how much to cut and wash. I am a pre-washer, so most of the fabric in my stash that is already washed. The exceptions are pieces that are bought for OBW or S&W, pre-cuts, and very large pieces.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:51 AM

I have had no problem washing that length - just use a delicate cycle and it should be fine. If you cut it prior to washing, make sure you cut larger than you think you will need to account for possible shrinkage.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I was looking for the video from Kaye Wood. She demonstrated laundering large amount of yardage and she accordion folded the fabric and used large safety pins to pin the selvage edges and opposite edges. I bought a large amount of yardage and did a basting stitch around the edges. It worked for me. It would be up to you how you intend to use the fabric and possibly how you would cut it. I personally would cut in yard increments like in half or 2-3 yards. You could cut the size of a king size sheet and wash like you would a sheet. That is how I have done some but still did the basting stitch to help prevent fraying around the edge.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 AM

Thank you all, I would never have thought about just leaving it on the bolt till i needed it and then wash the amount that I would need. I wash everything that goes into my stash but these larger pieces of fabric, I will just wait and see how much I need for each quilt and then wash it... .So this solved the problem..THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 AM

Ditto about only washing when you are ready to use it. I washed one 10 yard piece several years ago and that was the last time I washed anything that big. It was really too hard for me to handle.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:33 PM

I have washed up to a 12 yard piece of Kona fabric in my machine. I just unfold it and put it around the machine and let wash, then dry. Yes, it is a job to iron a 12 yard piece of fabric, but it can be done.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 PM

I bought a bolt of white fabric to make a Cathedral Windows quilt and washed the entire amount, left it as one long piece then wrapped it back on the cardboard it came on - cut off the first amount I was going to use and ironed it and cut it into the 9 inch squares. At first I was going to wash it in 3 yard segments but then thought there will be a time when I either don't need 3 yards or will need more - so just cut it and iron as I need it.