Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric >

Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric

Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric

Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Washing vs Not Washing New Fabric

I usually wash my new fabric when making quilts, but last time fabric came out looking faded and dingy, even though I just put through a delicate rinse cycle. My question is: Can you get the same result as washing (shrinkage, loss of stiffness) through steam ironing? Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Good question, don't know the answer, but if new fabric came out looking faded and dingy, won't that happen when you wash the quilt? One lady told me to use vinegar in my wash if I wanted my colors to "set". I have done this every time I wash my fabric, so can't say whether it works or not, as the fabric looks like it did when I put it in the wash....
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM

I don't know if it does the same, but if my fabrics are going to fade, I would like to know before I used them.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Aren't you glad that you found out that the fabric came out faded and dingy now rather than spend all that time making a quilt and THEN finding out that the fabric has issues. This is one reason that I always pre-wash my fabrics. I have read on this board that some posters stated that every time she put the quilt in the washer for the first time,she held her breath for fear that some of the unwashed fabric would bleed or have other issues. I would hate to spend all the hours spent making a quilt and then have it ruined. And some people believe if you buy LQS fabrics, then nothing could go wrong! Not true. I have purchased LQS fabrics and found a flaw right down the center of the fabric. I didn't notice it before I washed it, but, it was very obvious after washing and drying.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM

What kind of fabric did you use that when washed came out dingy? Is it well water, how you're washing it or the fabric quality? Those are questions I'd ask myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM

I wash any fabric that could bleed or could absorb the color that may bleed -- I have been doing this more and more and I hate the time it takes since I frequently want to use the new fabric right away. (I don't use pre-cuts, but these you don't want to pre-wash). I had a Moda fabric fade from a brilliant blue to a faded gray blue and a red RJR fabric that went to pink/orange when I washed it and I have tried to wash the intense colors ever since. I have since found that I need to wash the light colors that will be in a quilt as well, so I am trying to make sure everything gets washed first.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammyp View Post
I don't know if it does the same, but if my fabrics are going to fade, I would like to know before I used them.
I agree with this
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM

The "stiffness" is the sizing in the fabric and it probably won't be removed by just steaming the fabric.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Good question, don't know the answer, but if new fabric came out looking faded and dingy, won't that happen when you wash the quilt? One lady told me to use vinegar in my wash if I wanted my colors to "set". I have done this every time I wash my fabric, so can't say whether it works or not, as the fabric looks like it did when I put it in the wash....
I also always add "white" vinegar to my prewash. .. I do not add soap

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM

I prewash for fading/bleeding and other reasons that steaming wouldn't touch either. Prewash or not has been a hot topic in the past on the QB. Doing a search will get you lots of info.